Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2019   #16
riley9
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Miracle Gro is literally the worst option. The company that owns them, Monsanto, is literally the worst.
Soctts (Scotts Miracle-Gro) not Monsanto owns Miracle-Gro They also own Osmocote and Hyponex. Monsanto is a separate company and was purchased by Bayer AG in 2018.

Quote:
The company notoriously lies about their ingredients and is being sued for just about anything.
If you are that opposed to Monsanto I suggest looking at the products sold by Bayer. They might be the manufacturer of health care or animal health products you are currently using.
riley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley9 View Post
Soctts (Scotts Miracle-Gro) not Monsanto owns Miracle-Gro They also own Osmocote and Hyponex. Monsanto is a separate company and was purchased by Bayer AG in 2018.

If you are that opposed to Monsanto I suggest looking at the products sold by Bayer. They might be the manufacturer of health care or animal health products you are currently using.
+1
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #18
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have used several of the more popular soilless mixes both as seed starter and as the potting up medium with few problems in the soilless mix; other problems were caused by me.

The mixes with slow release fertilizer tend to have nutrients enough but I have been know to add a little liquid plant food if the seedlings need a boost. I will never again use the mix that has "water keeper" or "water saver" or whatever it is called. That was a disaster the one time.

I have used a premium seed starter mix and did not have any better results than with the less expensive soilless mixes (but not the cheap-o mixes that have bark and rocks and tree branches).
Old April 16, 2019   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Promix BX (M) is hard to beat. The only caveat is that it needs a tiny bit more fertilizer to grow good tomato seedlings. I add 1/2 teaspoon of a complete fertilizer with micronutrients per tray of 48 plants when the plants are about 3 to 4 inches tall.

I would add that every seed start mix I have ever tried needed a bit more fertilizer to get large healthy seedlings.
What's your favorite supplemental fertilizer for the little guys?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #20
PlainJane

Quote:
Promix BX (M) is hard to beat. The only caveat is that it needs a tiny bit more fertilizer to grow good tomato seedlings. I add 1/2 teaspoon of a complete fertilizer with micronutrients per tray of 48 plants when the plants are about 3 to 4 inches tall.

I would add that every seed start mix I have ever tried needed a bit more fertilizer to get large healthy seedlings.
Agreed. Am pretty annoyed by this, too ...
Old April 16, 2019   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Agree, and I like to have full control of it myself, I don’t want added fertilizer especially for seedlings. Not all types seedlings have the same requirements of course and no product can possibly be good for every possible plant grown. There’s more to gardening than tomatoes shhh dont tell anybody I said that.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I use Jiffy Mix for tomato and pepper seedlings. The tomato plants I added slightly warm tap water. For the pepper plants, I did water them once with an extremely diluted calcium nitrate solution 1/4 teaspoon calcium nitrate to 1 gallon of water / metric 1.23223ml calcium nitrate to 3785.41ml water. It wasn't needed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
+1
Going +2 on this one.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #24
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

If you are using Miracle Grow, you might want to watch this side by side comparison between Miracle Grow and Promix Potting mixes.

I think Fafard is a cheaper option and just as good or almost as good as Promix. Fafard also goes under names like Metromix and Sungro.

Best thing to do is to get some used 55 gallon plastic drums, blue or black, and make your own compost. Some companies will give them away and some will charge a small amount. Be careful of what was in them. If it was Phosphoric acid or Sulfuric acid all you have to is wash them out. I have five.

The compost I make is light, needs no pearlite and I use it for everything from seed starting to container mixes. I have just this year started adding coconut coir half and half with the compost for potting up. Walmart has an 8 pound brick for 8 dollars that has been pre-washed without chemicals and looks great. So far so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0FYQwfeZCc
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019   #25
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Just a followup on the plastic 55 gallon drum composting. Here is a link on EBAY that might be useful.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_C...+drums&_sop=15

Local pickup for several areas for 10 dollars or less. If you make an offer 10 to 25 percent below the asking price they usually accept it. If you look hard enough in your area you may be able to find them free.

Get the blue or black ones. The white ones don't last as long. In a year or two you will be rolling in compost
Old April 19, 2019   #26
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

I did a side by side with a MG seedling mix and promix in a ~1 month test run a couple of months ago and the results were virtually identical. Both sets of plants were healthy and no supplemental fertilizer was used. I've read enough failure stories across brands and perceive there is a fair bit of variability batch to batch or year to year from the same product line. Lots of things we can't see or control in the supply chain, so there is probably a reasonable argument for using a couple unique batches/brands if failure is unacceptable to you .
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #27
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I agree. A lot of the brands are regionally formulated so consistency can be a problem. I have always used Fafard and it has never failed me.

From reading here and across the internet consistency seems to be a problem with Miracle-gro. Growers do not want a mix that is good one year and not so good the next.

I have not seen the same complaints with Promix or Fafard as I have seen with Miracle-gro which is why I guess most of the pros use Promix and Fafard.
Old April 19, 2019   #28
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately the quality where I am have fallen over the years.
I think peat or other substances have been banned and seem to have been replaced with hard lumps, unidentified hair or plants waste, twigs and bark chips and so on.
You can still get fairly good stuff but it is very very expensive.

I tend to mix it with garden soil that I have sieved, sand and perlite.

To be honest though im not sure how important it is after seeing professional growers use cheap recycled soil and chicken poo pellets to make chilli pepper plants with 2500+ chilli.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #29
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
I did a side by side with a MG seedling mix and promix in a ~1 month test run a couple of months ago and the results were virtually identical. Both sets of plants were healthy and no supplemental fertilizer was used. I've read enough failure stories across brands and perceive there is a fair bit of variability batch to batch or year to year from the same product line. Lots of things we can't see or control in the supply chain, so there is probably a reasonable argument for using a couple unique batches/brands if failure is unacceptable to you .
Interesting! Did your Promix contain any fertilizer? (I'm assuming that the MG did.)

One year, a friend gave me some of her seedlings which she started in Promix with no fertilizer. There was an obvious difference to the ones that I grew in a mix with slow-release fertilizer. No surprise really!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #30
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I think Sunshine Mix #4 is the most economical seed-starting and potting mix I've found. I've tried various small-bag mixes -- EB Stone was a disaster last year for whatever reason. I bought a bag of Sunshine last year, kept it dry all winter, hydrated it sufficiently when I used it, added some organic potting mix when up-potting, and it has worked very well for 2 years' worth of seed-starting and 1 year of up-potting.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote