Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 2, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Hummingbirds/Others

A thread for everyone who wants to share Hummingbird pictures, or any other birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0094.JPG (71.8 KB, 223 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nice picture salt.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015   #3
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Nice photo Salt! I need to dust of my feeders...been putting that off.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I think I have shared this before but I had a hummingbird land on my hand a few years ago when I was watering. It was a further blessing as it happened on my birthday!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I had one nest on my porch. Amazing to watch it raising babies.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Awww, I had one nest on my porch too, Floyd my black cat put an end to that.....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The hummers are due here today or tomorrow. The feeder (nectar) is full and waiting. The wrens arrived Friday, the orioles were due Saturday but have not been around the full of grape jelly oriole feeder.

Twenty minutes after this original post, the Baltimore Orioles descended on the grape jelly. They are here.

Last edited by PaulF; May 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015   #8
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I had a beautiful ruby throat (I think) get stuck in the Hoophouse last year.. The poor thing kept trying to get through the film lol.. I finally got him to land on a broom and brought him out.. Between the canna and the new feeder hopefully he (or she) will return.. They're such interesting little creatures.. I'll take a few pics next time
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015   #9
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I saw a hummingbird land in my Mom's hair one time. It sat there for a few seconds then flew off. We were in an office inside a large, closed mechanic shop and we couldn't find it after that. My Mom always loved hummingbirds!
Old May 5, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Very Pauldavid

A couple days ago, the hummingbird feeder was empty. Time to make some sugar water and finally use up that red stuff I got at Wally World. Well, I guess I wasn't thinking correctly because I mixed 1 cup of water with 3 cups of sugar and the rest of the red stuff in a large saucepan. Bought it to boil - let it cool, and realized that I had made red syrup...oops

I figured out how much water I needed to add. It was supposed to be 4 parts water and one part sugar. So now I have enough sugar water made for the rest of the year...and it's red. Oh well.

There has been a ruby throated hummingbird feeding, but I haven't got a picture yet. Two years ago, I saw one that was a bright green color. I only saw it a couple times. I'm hoping to see it again and get pics.
Old May 6, 2015   #11
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Very Pauldavid

A couple days ago, the hummingbird feeder was empty. Time to make some sugar water and finally use up that red stuff I got at Wally World. Well, I guess I wasn't thinking correctly because I mixed 1 cup of water with 3 cups of sugar and the rest of the red stuff in a large saucepan. Bought it to boil - let it cool, and realized that I had made red syrup...oops

I figured out how much water I needed to add. It was supposed to be 4 parts water and one part sugar. So now I have enough sugar water made for the rest of the year...and it's red. Oh well.

There has been a ruby throated hummingbird feeding, but I haven't got a picture yet. Two years ago, I saw one that was a bright green color. I only saw it a couple times. I'm hoping to see it again and get pics.

Good luck to you Salt, I saw a hummingbird last year that was the color of a lime(sorta), very beautiful! I got out my feeders and washed them, all because of your thread. I like the Hummdinger brand feeders the best. I use 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water. I don't use the red coloring though. My Mom always said that it wasn't neccesary for her. I kept two feeders on the edge of my porch last year and one hummingbird would try to run the others off. Is this normal?
Old May 7, 2015   #12
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Nice pic, Salt! I saw my first ever real live hummingbird in my garden last year. He was buzzing around my pineapple sage plant

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been trying to get a nice picture of one certain hummingbird for days now. He is very camera shy and is small in size. I say/write "He" because it is a male ruby throated hummingbird. Females are ruby throated, males are more flashy orange. https://www.google.com/search?q=oran...ml%3B468%3B468 He seems to be living in a bed of tomato plants. And he is always out while it is raining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0075.JPG (58.7 KB, 78 views)
Old May 12, 2015   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Since my last entry these birds have returned: Baltimore Orioles, wrens, Indigo Buntings, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, Orchard Orioles, Cowbirds, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Purple Finches, House Finches 9to go with the Goldfinches that stay all winter) and a White Crowned Sparrow (not often seen here). The Bluebirds passed through a couple of weeks ago but none stayed around. A pair of Scarlet Tanagers were at the feeder this afternoon, so add one more .

Last edited by PaulF; May 12, 2015 at 07:33 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #15
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

We had three feeders up and it was nice for a few weeks. Then the Roufus moved in and started harassing the gentler species. Those guys are nasty little creatures. They'd hide in near by bushes and attack anything that came near. All three feeders were removed after a couple weeks of this...The mean Roufuses found another yard to dominate and now my gentler little guys are back since I put a feeder back out.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote