Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 13, 2013   #1
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato questions..

1. I have been growing tomatoes for some time now, why is it some grow, and some stay small all are indeterminate planted out the beginning of April. ( See left small, right growing.) I've checked the roots, the plants look healthy overall?

2. Does anyone know the growth habit of Momotaro? I've been wanting to grow this tomato for years, finally sourced seeds and it's been nothing but challenging started all 10 seeds all but one failed, (the other seedlings did not look healthy from the start) and now I am trying to baby the runt out in the garden.

3. The last question is an identity question does the pic look closest to Doctor's Green Frosted, or Black Cherry? Thanks in advance for answers and advice!

Melissa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (446.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 065.jpg (560.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 087.jpg (353.2 KB, 46 views)
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #2
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Noone has an answer oh bother..
Old June 14, 2013   #3
sjoella
Tomatovillian™

i am growing both Momotaro(5) and Odoriko(5). So far I have 1 of each that are very strong and very healthy. The others are all growing nicely just not as tall and has taken a little longer to catch up to the leaders.

I have lots of fruit on the Odoriko, not as many on the Momotaro. Lots of blooms on both varieties. Both are leading my garden in healthy looking plants.

I am not an expert as it is my first attempt of growing either.

Take a look at this post if you have interest seeing my personnel progress.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28462

I will offer that I worked hard on my soil prior to planting. I planted as the Farmers Almanac recommended. I added compost (lamb, goat, chicken mix from a local friend) lime, tomato tone, and azomite. When I water, I do use a water soluable tomato food by Miracle Grow.

I had so many plants from seed that i gave others away, my friend that i gave plants to barely have much more than a tall plant. They took 1 of each and have about 10 blooms on either plant with only 1 tomato fruit. Their soil is some random garden soil, not much attention to soil prep....and it is in a container that is likely not large enough. They do water with a "flower" food mix. Our results are night and day even though the seeds were from the same packs.

Last edited by sjoella; June 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
sjoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #4
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Hi! Thanks for the insight I love pictures I will surely take a look at them thank you!

I did not amend my soil with all of those goodies you did, I tried a repeat of last year, a no till lasagna bed with lots of compost. I guess I will just see what happens, if push comes to shove I will just put some basil in the spot..

Thanks again!

Melissa