Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 7, 2008   #61
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I just sent you a PM, btw.

I wonder at times, does "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten!" apply to seeds? I am honestly asking, as I am just learning about this part of the world, thanks to Paul, from Brownville!

Kent
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008   #62
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktwahoo View Post
Carolyn,

I just sent you a PM, btw.

I wonder at times, does "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten!" apply to seeds? I am honestly asking, as I am just learning about this part of the world, thanks to Paul, from Brownville!

Kent
Kent I know of a PM you sent me last week with an offer and I just didn't remember to go back and answer you, but will perhaps later today.

There's no good relationship between seed price and seed quality as far as I'm concerned.

Heck, I've offered over 300 tomato varieties online here and there and will be making another one here soon, and they're free for an SASE.

As to those 10 cent packs of seeds in racks at the stores, I wouldn't use them b'c I don't need to but some folks have said they're just fine.
Old January 7, 2008   #63
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that is sort of what I figured, that there is no direct correlation between price and quality.

The subject of the new PM is "2d note....."

Kent & Kathy, near Wahoo, Nebraska
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #64
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Linda Drowns called today and asked me to let folks know that she's updated the Sandhill online site to indicate which tomato varieties are sold out.

She said she'd be doing the same for the other items hopefully next week.
Old January 4, 2010   #65
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Default Sand Hill Preservation Center

Any idea when the next catalog will apear on the web?
Old January 4, 2010   #66
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been checking too! I looked back at old SHP threads and, if this year is like other years, the catalog goes out in early Jan. and the website gets updated after that, usually by early Feb. So I'm watching my mailbox for the paper copy.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #67
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Actually Glenn called me tonight but I completely forgot to ask him when the catalog might be out. I know they've been having computer problems and I don't know if those have been fixed, but Linda his wife does all the formatting/entries for the catalog. Wait, I think he was trying to remember a date when something else happened and he said something like it was around Dec 7th or so and they were working on the catalog then.

I haven't been to the website yet to see if it's been updated but I guess maybe things are a bit behind schedule and I'd know if some of the varieties I sent him last Spring would be there, and actually that's part of what we were talking about, but not in relation to the catalog/website.

As I recall I usually get my catalog in early January each year.

So I can't give a date when they'll be sent out, but they will be sent out, that I know.
Old January 11, 2010   #68
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I got my 2010 Sandhill catalog today. Glossy cover and back, greatly expanded and reasons why Glenn isn't going to go the color photo route with a catalog, and referred to me as a tomato guru where some of the new stuff is mentioned in the front of the catalog, which led me to e-mail him that if that was so, whatever it means, then he's the fowl guru.

You have no idea how I've treasured my long time relationship with Glenn and Linda b'c it would be hard to find such wonderful folks, so enthusiastic, so dedicated to variety preservation and so darn honest in everything they do.

And how Glenn gets all the plantings done and saves seed at the same time he's a full time teacher I'll never know. Makes me feel like a slug, but then I am retired now so if I want to feel like a slug, I can b/c I too spent many years teaching.
Old January 11, 2010   #69
mvan
Tomatovillian™

I got my catalog today too!
mvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #70
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I'm so jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvan View Post
I got my catalog today too!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #71
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

<sigh> didnt get mine

Glenn doesnt love my any more

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #72
nosnow
Tomatovillian™

"and referred to me as a tomato guru"

Ah, but Carolyn, you truly are a "guru". My DH doesn't get too involved in my gardening world, but we both know a "National Treasure" when we see one, and you fill the bill.

And there is only one other NT that we're aware of and that would be a guy in south FL , who heads several Rare Fruit Councils, knows all off the fruits by their latin names, and spreads his love and plants around to local schools and parks. Big wave to Alan, ya know who ya are

But then there are so many other great people here that further the research and betterment of OP varieties, Craig, Tom, Tom, and I would like to thank the Academy.......

Joan
nosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #73
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

What a wonderful catalog I didnt get yet, LOL. Where else can I feed my mater addicition AND my rare poultry addiction all in one catalog?!?
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #74
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

...still waiting for the catalog...
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #75
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Tom nothing yet from down the road, still waiting on mine too I hope it comes soon I ordered from them last year.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote