Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 24, 2018   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks great.
You could have gotten a two gang cut in box for the ceiling.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2018   #17
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
You can download an app for lux and fc, that would be an easy way to get some sort of an idea of light quantity. I'm just curious as to what those leds put out.

My Killo watt meter was dead, I downloaded an app for lux, here's what I got, hope it helps.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2018   #18
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Old December 24, 2018   #19
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand your chart, I must be really dumb. Why is there 12 different readings for 6" above canopy, can you please explain? Thanks much!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2018   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand your chart, I must be really dumb. Why is there 12 different readings for 6" above canopy, can you please explain? Thanks much!

Me too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018   #21
salix
Tomatovillian™

I am assuming it is the different areas on the table under the grow lights. Thought the white wall areas would be higher than the ones next to the open space.
Old December 25, 2018   #22
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You wanted readings correct?
I took the readings to show how the light his the table at different areas.
Like I said before I really don't care what the readings are, I just want my plants to grow lol.
Old December 25, 2018   #23
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
I am assuming it is the different areas on the table under the grow lights. Thought the white wall areas would be higher than the ones next to the open space.
Exactly thoughts also. I was a bit surprised at the numbers myself.
Old December 25, 2018   #24
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Sqwibb,
I think that I read your thread a few times last year. Then followed again recently. My LED progression is very similar to yours. The freebie lights and mcguyvers were ok for awhile, but just did not make the cut. I decided on 4-4'ft sunblazers LED Units & 1- 2bulb 2ft LED unit. One thing that is not well known about LED lights is that the light goes basically in a straight line. Meaning not much array or wide dispersment. The reflectors on these units are mostly behind or next to the LED's not doing much at all. So this explains the above readings to a tee. Cheers and Aloha
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018   #25
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
You wanted readings correct?
I took the readings to show how the light his the table at different areas.
Like I said before I really don't care what the readings are, I just want my plants to grow lol.

Ok,thanks, that makes sense now,I'm kinda surprised at the extreme difference in such a small area,interesting!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #26
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok,thanks, that makes sense now,I'm kinda surprised at the extreme difference in such a small area,interesting!

So was I.

Plus I thought the same thing as Salix with the white area.

I'm trying not to get too hung up on the science "specific" things, I just want it too work.
Don't get me wrong it's nice to know whats going on but I really don't want to dissect everything and get overwhelmed with worrying about stuff I know nothing about.
If it works, great, If not, I pop on Netflix and pour a draft and say Fuggit!
Old December 26, 2018   #27
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Sqwibb,
I think that I read your thread a few times last year. Then followed again recently. My LED progression is very similar to yours. The freebie lights and mcguyvers were ok for awhile, but just did not make the cut. I decided on 4-4'ft sunblazers LED Units & 1- 2bulb 2ft LED unit. One thing that is not well known about LED lights is that the light goes basically in a straight line. Meaning not much array or wide dispersment. The reflectors on these units are mostly behind or next to the LED's not doing much at all. So this explains the above readings to a tee. Cheers and Aloha
Tom

Yeah, I love to tinker but there does come a point where you want to up your game.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a lot of this LED stuff, veg, bloom and all the other crap.

For the average person doing seedlings and indoor greens A few fluorescent tubes and you're covered.

Since I want to go with fruiting vegetables, I had to make changes.
One thing I really like about the Led's, even the semi-cheapos, is how far you can keep them from the canopy with awesome results. This makes managing everything much easier.

what a difference.

One nice thing about the old lights over the Led's is you can monitor the plants better from a visual standpoint (true color), but I'm working on that.

Every Led array and setup is unique to the way it is setup, I dont have any way to test light output or whatever they do but did find one tip that I have been using.

I test the leaves with an IR thermometer and if they are at the same temp and /or lower than the ambient temp, I should be at the right height.
I also have a fan that is on the entire time the lights are on.

Thermal energy exchange includes convection (air temperature), conduction (substrate temperature), absorption of radiation (light intensity), and evaporative cooling (transpiration).

Old December 26, 2018   #28
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Good point about thermometer. And the tons of different info out there used to make me nuts. I dialed back my ideas to a more reasonable level. My lettuce is grown using a chopped up pool noodle with a piece of microcloth rolled up in the middle, then putting them in a downspout rail system. Also my media is hydroton, cococoir & perlite mix. After the plants are finished, just a wash of florakleen and a rinse and off we go again. Thanks for the pictures. Aloha
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #29
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

December 24th, 2018

A few more toys came in

• Now I can coordinate both grow areas.