Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2009   #16
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
I think an online version would be nice, but I for one hope they do not get rid of the Paper version.

I totally agree!

<Woodchuck>
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2009   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post
I signed up last week. Will I get a yearbook? Do I need to request a catalog?
I'm not sure since the labels for the YEarbook were printed before you joined.

I suggest you go to the home page of seed savers at seedsavers.org and e-mail whosever link is given for help. If none is given, and I thought one was, try steph@seedsavers.org

There have been threads at the SSE message board about electronic versions vs paper and it isn't at all clear what will happen.

First, far from all SSE members have computers, second, there are security problems re electronic versions that have not been solved. Don't ask me the specific b'c I'm the last to understand, said Carolyn, who solves problems with her abacus and slide rule.
Old January 29, 2009   #18
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, I'll do that.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2009   #19
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa
I think an online version would be nice, but I for one hope they do not get rid of the Paper version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck
I totally agree!
Ditto. I flip through my Yearbook all year long...pun intended, I guess.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post
I signed up last week. Will I get a yearbook? Do I need to request a catalog?
I've had some communication with Steph the past couple of days about some other issues and she said that anyone who joins before the end of March will be sent a Yearbook and does not have to contact SSE about Yearbooks. She said she sends them out as memberships come in and sends all for one week at the end of that week.
Old January 30, 2009   #21
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I haven't gotten mine yet.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #22
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've had some communication with Steph the past couple of days about some other issues and she said that anyone who joins before the end of March will be sent a Yearbook and does not have to contact SSE about Yearbooks. She said she sends them out as memberships come in and sends all for one week at the end of that week.
Ooh, thank you. I'll go out now and wait by my mailbox.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #23
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I would like to announce that the 2009 SSE Yearbook has hit the European Continent. Mine came in the post today. Ami
Old January 31, 2009   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I would like to announce that the 2009 SSE Yearbook has hit the European Continent. Mine came in the post today. Ami
Congratualtions Ami, and darn, meaning, how come you get yours in Germany when no one else that I know of has gotten theirs in the US.

I think I know the answer and it relates to the $55/per membership that Europeans, CIS members pay b'c of the increased cost of sending not just the Yearbook but all the other publications that one gets with membership.

So your publications get sent air while mine come by dogsled in the winter and motorcycle in the other seasons, and the normal third class.

If I weren't a Life Time member and paid more attention to membership issues, well, wait, maybe I could pay a few dollars extra and have someone clear off the snow from the backyard and request helicopter delivery.

No decisions yet, but there has been some discussions about any who want first class delivery paying more. Time will tell.
Old January 31, 2009   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I was willing to bet that after I posted you would be the next one to post. Must be "Tomato Radar" or something. See, sometime us commoners do get preferential treatment! Ami
Old January 31, 2009   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I was willing to bet that after I posted you would be the next one to post. Must be "Tomato Radar" or something. See, sometime us commoners do get preferential treatment! Ami
KYGreg just tagged me as being a sleuth and more when deciphering his Halian tomato as being Italian and now you're suggesting I have "Tomato Radar"

OK, time for me to set the alarm clock and get aboard the next alien ship that lands in the backyard.

And I'd call you anything BUT common, my friend.
Old February 1, 2009   #27
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

WOW! Got mine in the mail yesterday! I've got a lot of reading to do...no clue where to start.
Old February 1, 2009   #28
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I've always gotten my Yearbook about two weeks after the first "Yearbook came today," messages appeared here. And yet...that won't stop me from calling DH from work everyday this week to see if the mail carrier dropped off something large and Yearbook-like. Thank heavens he's a patient man.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2009   #29
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

pooklette, he won't have any problems identifying it as they are enclosed in clear plastic. Ami
Old February 2, 2009   #30
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Ami, I think only the ones sent overseas are enclosed in anything. Yearbooks going to addresses within the US are just dropped in the mail as is, no plastic or anything else around them.

On the outside back cover of your Yearbook, near the lower right corner you'll see a little box with the words, "Bound Printed Matter, Presorted, U.S. Postage Paid, Decorah, Iowa, Permit No. 22." That passes for a postage stamp and is all the USPS needs to deliver the Yearbook, no envelope or plastic wrap required. I am amazed that the Yearbook makes its way through the postal system as well as it does. Hope mine makes its way through the system soon.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote