Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2009   #1
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Krim or Black from Tula

I am trying to decide between Black Krim and Black from Tula as one of the varieties to plant this year. I live in northeast Minnesota, zone 3. Which one of these varieties will set at a cooler temperature? Which has fewer days to maturity? This is probably going to be a futile attempt at growing a ripe tomato. Last year only the Oregon Spring's ripened, Mr Stripey did not ripen. I had to buy transplants last year and the varieties I have to choose from is very limited. I wasn't able to start from seed because of a recent move last year. But I am being optimistic in my quest for a good tasting tomato. I am starting seeds with Ropreco Paste, Cosmonaut Volkov, Sun Gold and Scotia also. I have seeds for Silvery Fir Tree and Santiam if I can get them to germinate. I will start Stupice if I can find my seeds, also due to the move from over a year ago. Ropreco has been a good producer for me in past years. Silvery Fir Tree I put in pots so they are easy to protect. Any advice is appreciated. I have already thought about moving to a better climate.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

For me, Black from Tula has much better flavor, Black Krim has heavier early yields and is a bit more disease tolerant. both are early tomatoes - I would try them both eventually to see which you like better for flavor, and which does better for you.
Old March 7, 2009   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

The flavor is very different so it depends on what you like Black Krim (my favorite) has an earthiness that I think of as a "black tomato" flavor...found also in Paul Robison, Jap. Black Trifele, and Nyagous among others. I don't taste it in BfT.

Black Krim produces much earlier for me.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing Black Krim for probably 10 years as it was 1 of the first heirloom tomatoes I found. A lot of people swear by it. It can be early WHEN it produces.

I say that because for some reason, there seem to be years when Black Krim just doesn't do much at all. Then the next year it's outstanding. Much more variable than some other varieties.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2009   #5
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

Having grown both, Black From Tula is the better tasting IMO. Having said that, I am in Zone 9 which is warm. Black Krim also has a greater tendency for splitting in my experience.
Becky
beck3465 is offline   Reply With Quote