Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 2 Days Ago   #3961
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tried some of my homemade pesto with the steak and green beans.
It wasn't half bad if you like that sort of thing.
Better than killing it with A1, that is for sure.

Worth
Old 2 Days Ago   #3962
imp
Tomatovillian™

I've used pesto in several maybe different ways with , to me because I like pesto more than I should, good results.

One is to make some pesto butter, for garnishing steaks or meats; good for almost any meat, and tucked up under the skin ( just a little) of a chicken before roasting or frying is very good - even with breaded fried chicken. A small scoop of pesto butter to melt on a hot piece of pork or beef as it rests is also good.

For a savory pie , use a dab of intense pesto made with less olive oil with the lard for the crust. If using filo dough, melt some in the butter you are using to brush between the filo sheets and get something really great.

Instead of plain olive oil for roasting veg, use some or all pesto, especially on roasted carrots or chunked potatoes.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3963
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had Macaroni Della Collo Rosso.
Worth Lee.
Old 2 Days Ago   #3964
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I've used pesto in several maybe different ways with , to me because I like pesto more than I should, good results.

One is to make some pesto butter, for garnishing steaks or meats; good for almost any meat, and tucked up under the skin ( just a little) of a chicken before roasting or frying is very good - even with breaded fried chicken. A small scoop of pesto butter to melt on a hot piece of pork or beef as it rests is also good.

For a savory pie , use a dab of intense pesto made with less olive oil with the lard for the crust. If using filo dough, melt some in the butter you are using to brush between the filo sheets and get something really great.

Instead of plain olive oil for roasting veg, use some or all pesto, especially on roasted carrots or chunked potatoes.
Okay, you've just sold me on pesto. Please post your recipes? Thanks in advance.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3965
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Okay, you've just sold me on pesto. Please post your recipes? Thanks in advance.
If you like basil, you might love pesto.

Basic recipe, but for me I up the garlic, and use more basil leaves.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Recipes/Pesto-Sauce

It can also be done by hand, food processor, or other mixer.

For pesto butter I drain the amount of pesto you want to use keeping the flavored oil* for other use in the fridge; I use about anywhere from a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup + to a pound of salted butter. Slightly soften butter and mix the pesto ( or any herbs you like) and quick like a bunny roll it up in wax paper or plastic and form into a smallish log shape, keep in freezer and just cut off as needed.

You can use the pesto butter in pie crust if you want a soft pie crust or with lard if you want a crispy flaky crust. I get the lard almost frozen, then chop it in teeeny pieces, put some pesto and mix it about, then rub the lard into the flour. Very good for quiches and savory fillings.

Pesto butter can be slipped in between the chicken meat and skin, even before you dredge it for frying or pop in the oven for baking. Roasted vegs, just use pesto to brush over carrots or potatoes, or most any veg, before roasting. Roasted squash, winter or summer are very good this way.

Pesto butter, lighter version, is good on corn on a cob too. A small amount of pesto brushed inside the bread before the cheese ( very scant amount) for grilled cheese is good too. Add a small amount to sour cream to garnish a cold soup or borscht.

*Pesto oil can be used for brushing on top of breads, for grilling or bruschettas , salad dressings and making mayo.

Warning - pesto doesn't go well with everything sadly; apples do not play well with pesto and don't ask me how I know this, just believe me, don't do it.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #3966
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why you ate that cat, and how long it was stuck in your throat. Did you smear it with pesto?

Darn tigger sharks.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Hours Ago   #3967
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Catching up again... Men's Place I feel compelled to post concerning your post about the generational changes of women here in the U.S. There are still a few of us out there who did learn at a grandparent and parents side. Yes, my life is sometimes hectically busy. I have a husband, 4 children 7 yrs and younger, a full time job, a home, an extended family, friends and a life to live. I can every year. Yes, the all day in the kitchen days are usually in preparation for a holiday or a special day unique to my family. I bring my children in the kitchen to learn at my side because my philosophy there has always been start as you mean to go on. I want them to truly be able to take care of themselves.

Now, what's for supper.... Chicken breasts with a layer of pesto made from mostly garden ingredients, a tomato, and a slice of mozzarella on top baked in the oven... twice baked potatoes, and brussel sprouts. My tummy is growling already and I haven't been finished with lunch long! Lol...

Rajun... if you're checking in more regularly now that roast....YUM!!! Think I want to dig out the pork sirloin roast out of the freezer and fire up the rotisserie cooker one day this wk.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Hours Ago   #3968
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post

Rajun... if you're checking in more regularly now that roast....YUM!!! Think I want to dig out the pork sirloin roast out of the freezer and fire up the rotisserie cooker one day this wk.

Fire it up, it's easy and is some seriously good eats. I followed this guy for directions and don't forget to post some pics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCsDBwXEFXw
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Hours Ago   #3969
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Grilled pork steaks, squash, bells, asparagus and the fancy real cheese Mac-n-Cheese.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0005[1].jpg (222.2 KB, 12 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Hours Ago   #3970
bower
Tomatovillian™

That looks awesome Rajun.
I am up late making a curry out of that bulk pack of chicken thighs again. Just added frozen tomatoes so waiting for that to melt in before I add potatoes. I need to use up those frozen tomatoes before I start lobbing them in the freezer again.

Supper was kind of scanty and rushed tonight since we were in the field pulling garlic until dinner time, reheated some frozen Jamaican patties and made a big green salad.

My brother got married on the weekend and my son and DIL have been home for a week, also loads of cousins came for the wedding so we had a bit of a reunion and a dinner party at my mother's the day afterwards. I went up to the farm to do the tomato care and cut lettuce and gleaned the snap peas that were too fat to last until tuesday... OMG so sweet. Made a big salad for the party with peas and my tomatoes which are really starting to roll in now. We are a month late for the main crop which is really just starting, but there they are. It was a better summer than I expected. Very happy for all the great veggies laid on me for my work at the farm. My freezer is still full of bargain meats in spite of guests I don't think we'll be running out before they leave. Should be more guests on the weekend, just hope it is cool enough for roasts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote