Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 13, 2017   #271
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
it' a pity one needs to be registered to open videos on Sound cast and I'm not keen on giving personal details or my mail address to strangers on the web. If you could show the interview on you tube or add the script to one of your posts your international audience would be delighted.

All the best
I didn't have to register to listen. Joseph you sound like a laid back fella. I had already read all your articles around the web but nice to put a voice with the words. Very inspiring and nice to know that regardless of what climate your gardening in nature can go to work for you with just a little help.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #272
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
it' a pity one needs to be registered to open videos on Sound cast and I'm not keen on giving personal details or my mail address to strangers on the web. If you could show the interview on you tube or add the script to one of your posts your international audience would be delighted.

All the best
I had no trouble listening to the sound stream. No account either. This is especially surprising since i'm on a Linux machine using Firefox. Not sure what format that site is using but usually i have problems with websites still insisting on using the decrepit and obsolete FLASH plugin. Especially since FLASH is finally going the way of the Dodo and yet some sites still insist on using it. So occasionally i have to switch to Google Chrome to get around that issue. But i didn't have any problems on my end.

I particularly liked the part about the "weed gardening". ...And no i don't mean that other kind of weed...
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #273
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Very inspiring indeed, landrace gardening makes perfect sense! Very thoughtful and logical. I will look up for a site selling your seeds. Now I want to try your muskmelons and see if we can harvest even a green melon in our cool coastal climate.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #274
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting work. Appreciate you posting the link.
And those blooms! Amazing
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #275
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing that, Joseph. Makes sense to me, too. It fits in with my philosophy that we shouldn't stress about things beyond our control, but surrender that to the Creator.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #276
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Interesting audio - thank you. I now have context around your exerted stigma work.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #277
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Very good interview you gave. Keep up the good work on your Land Race farming. I like a person that thinks outside the box. I also had no problem viewing the link.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #278
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody for your help. The French version of the site insists on having us register but I went on exploring the site and found Joseph's interview. As he talks slowly listening to his speech is quite enjoyable. Another plus : Joseph's American English can be understood on all continents...

Last edited by loulac; March 14, 2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #279
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I have seedlings for Solanum habrochaites vg , Solanum habrochaites Fuzzy Leaf, Solanum Peruvianum, 0429 SC (antho, flowers large, exerted stigmas), 1408 SG (red fruit), 0530 SG (orange-brown fruits), 1410 SG (purple fruit), Fern x LA1777, LA1996 (Aft), LA4040 (IL 2-5 from S. pennellii), LA0214 (Dark Anthers from S. peruvianum), Orange Peach.

i also have some seedlings of LA4135 an F1 S. lycopersicon X S. Pennellii that is in the group of wilds and semi-wilds. Joseph might be interested in offspring from that. Will try to plant some seeds for LA0716 S. Penellii and LA1969 S. Chilense today though it is late. Worth a try anyway. I will be watching LA4040 closely because it is supposed to be the introgression line drom S. Pennellii for the unfused anther cone and S. Pennellii flower genes.

The one plant from seeds Joseph sent me for F2 Fern x LA1777 seems to be very healthy.

Last edited by Keen101; May 12, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 13, 2017   #280
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
A few days ago, I attempted the following:

S. pennellii X S. peruvianum

I don't know the utility of any of these crosses. I'm just mixing things up for now. Later on we can sort out the particulars. I'm primarily interested in these crosses for their genetic diversity, for self-incompatibility, for wide-open promiscuous flowers, and bold floral display. Perhaps we'll find some genetics in this population for cold tolerance, disease resistance, or better taste.

Perhaps a variety will emerge from this project which is suitable for flower gardens.
Today i was reading a paper maybe two where they suggested that the genome of pennellii and habrochaites might be perfectly compatible. In lycopersicon x pennellii hybrids there is decreased fertility in the F1 and more in the F2 apparently because of genome differences.
Old May 15, 2017   #281
hanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
Today i was reading a paper maybe two where they suggested that the genome of pennellii and habrochaites might be perfectly compatible.
I will try that cross. I have several different accessions of habrochaites and 1 of pennelli in "wintersown" boxes outside. Might be interesting to see the results. Some plants of habrochaites have a strong smell of Dill others don`t. That is very pleasant even if it isn`t probably edible as a spice like Dill. It adds some more variation in tomatoes. I plant to cross habrochaites with domestic tomatoes.
hanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #282
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanns View Post
I will try that cross. I have several different accessions of habrochaites and 1 of pennelli in "wintersown" boxes outside. Might be interesting to see the results. Some plants of habrochaites have a strong smell of Dill others don`t. That is very pleasant even if it isn`t probably edible as a spice like Dill. It adds some more variation in tomatoes. I plant to cross habrochaites with domestic tomatoes.
Cool! I don't know if these were the exact papers i was reading the other day but here they are anyway.

Quote:
Solanum pennellii hybridizes in both directions with L. hirsutum and unidirectionally
with L. esculentum with great ease. The high level of fertility existing between these three species
points to a close phylogenetic relationship.
Quote:
For example, in our two mapping populations, the phylogenetic relationships among the three species involved are still not definitively resolved, but a consensus phylogeny based on data from AFLPs, cpDNA restriction sites, and sequences from granule-bound starch synthase and internal transcribed spacers indicates that S. habrochaites (SH) and SP share a more recent common ancestor that either species does with SL
plus S. pennellii and S. habrochaites are in the same branch next to each other on the phylogenetic tree. I think they both have small green fruits so i'm not sure exactly what if anything useful would come from such a cross, but might be interesting non-the-less. I also believe that wild plants are easier to cross as hybrids themselves than pure breds anyway, so it's possible that a pennellii x habrochaites F1 or F2 hybrid would be more genome compatible with S. lycopersicon anyway, but who knows, maybe not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1211768/pdf/795.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475745/
Old May 15, 2017   #283
hanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
i'm not sure exactly what if anything useful would come from such a cross,
so do I could be useful for late blight tolerance...
hanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #284
joseph
Tomatovillian™

It was nice to see a paper in 'Frontiers in Plant Science', which suggests adopting the definition of landrace which I have been advocating since 2009.

Front Plant Sci. 2017; 8: 145.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #285
bower
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed that, Joseph. Thanks for posting the link.
I especially appreciate that breeding and selection are also embraced in this definition.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote