Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 22, 2013   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default 2013 production report

I know this pretty boring, but it is a tradition for me to report the tomato season. Sorry in advance.

With a two week late start in planting outdoors, many of this year's varieties did not begin to produce when they should have. Several varieties produced less than ten pounds of fruit: Helen's German, West Virginia Straw, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, Mammoth German,Magnum Beefsteak, Fish Lake Oxheart, Provenzano, Yellow Oxheart, Glazer's Giant and Watermelon. Most of those were first time for me varieties.

Production winners were Joe's Pink Oxheart, Red Butter Heart, Church, Black Brandywine, Grandfather Ashlock, Volovie Ukho (Ox Ear) and Dora.

Single plant production by weight was Red Butter Heart with 39 pounds. Largest average weight per tomato came from Joe's Pink Oxheart at 16 ounces and Church at 15 ounces. Red Butter Heart had the largest single fruit weighing in at 34 ounces.

Even with the low growers, the 30 plants in the garden gave 400 pounds of ripe tomatoes; there are maybe 50 more pounds of greenies that may or may not ripen indoors. The seven year average in total weight is 433 pounds, so this was a fairly average year. Frost date is about ten days later than average.

The best part of this year's crop is that there wasn't a spitter in the group and I found some gems. Next year it is back to the early years and some of the old favorites rather than trying to grow what is newly popular in the tomatoville world.