Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 27, 2019   #24
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I have always liked white corn better. I see yellow corn and I think it's from the grocery store, from a can, or for feed. Hopefully this Incredible changes my mind.
I've tried other varieties of corn and for whatever reason the SQ has always produced best, leaving me wishing I hadn't changed up that year. I still want to try a bi-color and might next year. Came awfully close this year!

Quote:
My first set, I planted every 5" intending to thin if needed.
I usually plant every 4" and thin out every other one. For whatever reason, the germination is always about 95% in the rows. It's just the corn in the raised beds that has the germination issues. Could be it's just the variety because I've had no problems with other varieties.

Quote:
With the plastic mulch, I'm not sure how I'd side dress. There should be plenty of nutrition since the entire beds are finished compost. It is the nice dark stuff you can see next to the corn where I planted sweet potatoes (Georgia something) a couple weeks back.
That's good looking soil! Mine here is sandy in the non-bed area where the corn, winter squash and watermelons grow. The soil in the beds is getting better every year with all the leaf mulch added. Sweet potatoes... Georgia Jet? This is the third year I've been playing with sweets and use one called 'Jewel' as it's nematode resistant.

Quote:
This is the first year I did all direct seed for corn, rather than soil block transplants. I think what I want to try next year is a first round of 2-3 week old soil blocks into the ground on the same day as I put the second set into the ground as seed.
Last year was the first time I tried to transplant one of those extras in a row to a spot with skips. The transplant was just 1.5" tall. Already it had a root about 8" long! It didn't survive the experiment, one I won't repeat.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote