Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 3, 2012   #1
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Default pokipsie.....poor dog

I have identified the large flowered plantit is POKIPSIE AKA 'poor dog'. Here is a pic of a early harvested 'sprout jack'planted early aprilIt had a great creamy texture, but fairly average flavor.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I bet those skins have about a million antioxidants in them! Beautiful colors! Looks like somebody dipped them in wine.
Old July 3, 2012   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

They mature to a brown with burgundy wavy lines.
Old July 4, 2012   #4
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

That is a very nice looking potato. Until now, I had never seen a potato with colored streaks through the center of it. Does it retain its color when cooked, baked, etc.?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2012   #5
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

The yellow for sure, but the red kinda bleeds out; unless it is fried, then it keeps it's nice color/pattern.
Old July 5, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And when I saw the word Pokipsie, I thought to myself that someone doesn't know how to spell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughkeepsie,_New_York

What is the origin of this variety called Pokipsie, just curious.
Old July 5, 2012   #7
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I bet those would make a beautiful plate of fried taters.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #8
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn137 it was named by Tom wagner, and is a totally made up name. Maybe he can chime in and give an explanation.
Old July 6, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Carolyn137 it was named by Tom wagner, and is a totally made up name. Maybe he can chime in and give an explanation.
Since Tom is the Moderator of this Forum I assume he'll see what I posted and I'd love to know how pokipsie tranlates out to " poor dog".

Made up name? Could be, Tom does that a lot, but also uses some foreign languages he knows from time to time but this one doesn't look like the ones he has used in the past that come from his own heritage across the sea.
Old July 6, 2012   #10
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn po is for one potato, kip represents another, and sie is for a third potato in it's heritage. Then Tom changed it's name to 'poor dog' because the mature tubers look like a very large dog turd. So large in fact that they probably hurt coming out......so that is wghere the name 'poor dog' comes from.
Old July 8, 2012   #11
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

POOR DOG potato variety ...above...growing at Project Grow's garden in Portland, Oregon. Photo shot 7-6-12.This should be the same clone as the one I gave Wingnut last November. I had dozens of my varieties of potatoes on display during my lecture, including POOR DOG.

The photo below shows one of the clones from which TPS was selected and one of the progeny clones grown from that true seed was named POKHIPSIE. If you note...the Pokhip was a cross of Pirampo and Khuchi Akita. The spelling was a made up name using some of the letters of Pirampo...PO and Khi from Khuchi. I had many clones selected with various spellings from those two Solanum stenotomum landraces from Bolivia. I have a picture below of one of the hybrids of POKHIP and SKAGIT VALLEY GOLD....note the long twisted shape of the tubers. POKHIPSIE was one of the recombinants of TPS of the season 2010. I add the SIE at the end of POKHIP to show the pollen parent addition to the cross. And yes....I did think of Poohkeepsie, NY when I named it. POOR DOG is a TPS seedling from POKHIPSIE.

Tom Wagner...always the practical jokester....laying POOR DOG tubers around the house or at others' houses and eating them out of hand watching my guests stare in disbelief!!
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #12
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I just harvested a tubed very similar to the above from a pull start. It was a small plant and produced only one tuber before senescing.