Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 23, 2007   #1
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Default Source For Candy Stick Carrot?

Does anyone know of an online source for Candy Stick carrot? Reimer's is out-of-stock (never used them, though - I've heard some conflicting reports about them).
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007   #2
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Yep. I was afraid of that! It seems like this awesome little carrot has disappeared.
Old May 26, 2007   #3
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Oh no it has not! -

http://www.reimerseeds.com/default.aspx

More varieties of carrot than I have ever seen in one place - they categorize them by color, LOL. Other than that I know nothing about the company.

Search hint when you are looking for a particular variety - search for "carrot seed" - no quotes - then search within the results (Link is at the bottom of the first search result page in text only at Google) for "Candy Stick."
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007   #4
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Granny! Unfortunately, Reimer has been out-of-stock on this carrot forever. Not sure why they still have it in their online catalog.
Old May 27, 2007   #5
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Hunter - did a more exhaustive search for the little dickens. Here's what I found out -
Candy Stick (PS140595 [BB]) - Breeder: R. Maxwell. Vendor: Seminis/Petoseed. Characteristics: peeler, Caropak maturity, smooth exterior color, excellent tops. Similar: Caropak. Adaptation: California. 1998.

Seminis is the worldwide vendor of the seeds & they do not sell to home gardeners. US distribution was through NK (Walmart carries them I believe) but they do not sell anything online. I did go through all of the other folks on the list Seminis puts out of those who distribute their seeds in the US - no joy there either. I suspect that this particular carrot is now "old" and has been replaced with more recent hybrids. You might try contacting Seminis directly - http://www.seminis.com/contact.jsp

Other than that, I guess you'll have to find a new favorite carrot and have provided a good learning experience for all of us: you find something you really love, let at least a few go to seed!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007   #6
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Granny-
Wow! Thanks for all of your research on this! Much appreciated!