Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2015   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Tips for overwintering potted fruit(s)

I don't know if this should go in the container or fruit area, so I am posting it under general

I would like some tips on overwintering my small fruit plants. I have a raspberry, dwarf key lime, and blueberry plant. All are young (i.e, 5 inches or so).

What do I do with them come fall? Since the seedlings and containers are small, I do not want to plant or leave them outdoors due to our extreme weather. I can do that when they are older and sturdier. Should they go in the unheated garage? In the basement? In a sunny window? Do I water often? Fertilize?

My main goal is to get them big enough to plant outdoors in a permanent container.

Thanks!

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

The dwarf key lime is tropical and you need to treat that as a house plant. The others need to be planted outside either in containers or in the ground, but if they are in containers make sure they don't dry out. That is the death knell for them.
Old April 24, 2015   #3
BriAnDaren
Tomatovillian™

Anything we grow in a container such as blueberry, blackberry, fig, plum and pear is overwintered in our attached, unheated garage. Once in a while we give them a drink of water.
Raspberries stay outside because we're in zone 5.

Daren
BriAnDaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #4
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I also have three young, but growing quickly, lemongrass plants. Since all three were small when I received them, I put them in one pot. The pot was somewhat small, and I can always transplant them if I need to.

My question is, do I just leave these outside during the (NJ) winter? Or bring them in like a tropical?

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote