Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2008   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The whole point of Tad's breeding effort was to get a black tomato (a pink black, or purple) that doesn't have the dark non ripening shoulders. Hence the pink (Ozark) with the purple (Price's Purple) - when I've grown PPP, it shows that he succeeded. If people are seeing EPB colored fruit, it is likely that this is a reversion back to the EPB color. I've only seen black fruit from PPP.
Old August 7, 2008   #17
creister
Tomatovillian™

Raymondo,

I grew PPP from Sandhill seed this year, and it grew true to the description. It is on the must grow list. I found it to be a bit sweeter than Eva Purple Ball. EVP seemed a bit more complex flavored, but both are excellent.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2008   #18
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks creister.
Old August 10, 2008   #19
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Raymondo,

I grew PPP from Sandhill seed this year, and it grew true to the description. It is on the must grow list. I found it to be a bit sweeter than Eva Purple Ball. EVP seemed a bit more complex flavored, but both are excellent.
Just curious--what color was the gel in the PPP you grew?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2008   #20
creister
Tomatovillian™

I honestly can't tell you, because I didn't make a note of it. I just ate them about as fast as they got ripe. I will say the color is a darker pink than say Eva Purple Ball, but not as dark as Cherokee Purple.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2008   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
I honestly can't tell you, because I didn't make a note of it. I just ate them about as fast as they got ripe. I will say the color is a darker pink than say Eva Purple Ball, but not as dark as Cherokee Purple.
I agree that the color is darker than Eva Purple Ball and I've called it a dusky pink.

Ruth, I just looked at the cut slice of PPP in my book and there was no evidence of any green gel.

The cut slices of Black from Tula, Noire de Crime ( Black Krim), Cherokee Chocolate and Cherokee Purple all had evidence of green gel in the seed locules.
Old August 16, 2015   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My Pale Perfect Purples look black to me! I wondered at first if I had mis-labelled the tomatoes, because I'm also harvesting Dana's Dusky Rose, and both are about the same size, and are ripening at the same time. (I picked them when they were blushing). I was relieved to read Craig's post, indicating that they are black, although in Carolyn's book and at Tania's website, they look pink!

What confusion!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
My Pale Perfect Purples look black to me! I wondered at first if I had mis-labelled the tomatoes, because I'm also harvesting Dana's Dusky Rose, and both are about the same size, and are ripening at the same time. (I picked them when they were blushing). I was relieved to read Craig's post, indicating that they are black, although in Carolyn's book and at Tania's website, they look pink!

What confusion!

Linda
Linda, not only is photography a problem in representing color and when Frank was doing the photography for my book he recalibrated color for every single shot he took, but also human color perception also differs so that not everyone sees the same color when looking at a single fruit.

At another website there was a person who said there was NO color gold with tomatoes, Aunt Gertie's Gold and some others might have something to say about that if they could talk and the argument went on an on and got pretty bad.

And Fusion has said he has trouble distinguishing the tomato colors between yellow and orange.

It happens.

Carolyn
Old February 7, 2016   #24
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I've come across a couple of positive reports about this variety, including the one in Carolyn's book. This thread is mostly about color. I'd like to hear from those who've grown it, about flavor, production, DTM, and disease tolerance.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

From what I remember, production was mid-season and really excellent on PPP and she kept pumping them out all summer long until frost hit. As time wore on, the colour became more pink than black. All the tomatoes were perfectly round, and uniform in size. Very similar to Eva Purple Ball (as others have said) except that my PPP started off black. Disease tolerance was good.

I did one taste test between Pale Perfect Purple, 1884 Purple and Dana's Dusky Rose. Surprisingly, they all tasted similar to me! Flavour was very good, but compared to Rose and Prudence Purple, they could not compare. To my taste, the latter two varieties had more sweetness.

Linda
Old February 7, 2016   #26
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
From what I remember, production was mid-season and really excellent on PPP and she kept pumping them out all summer long until frost hit. As time wore on, the colour became more pink than black. All the tomatoes were perfectly round, and uniform in size. Very similar to Eva Purple Ball (as others have said) except that my PPP started off black. Disease tolerance was good.

I did one taste test between Pale Perfect Purple, 1884 Purple and Dana's Dusky Rose. Surprisingly, they all tasted similar to me! Flavour was very good, but compared to Rose and Prudence Purple, they could not compare. To my taste, the latter two varieties had more sweetness.

Linda
Hi Linda, and thanks. I assume you mean you compared with the (first named) 1884 Purple, not Prudens?
Old February 7, 2016   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Linda
Linda,I did have to laugh a bit when you mentioned Prudence Purple,most know it as Pruden's Purple, and that b'c back in the day there was a huge disagreement in the SSE yearbooks about what the proper name should be and the clear winner was Pruden's Purple.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...den%27s_Purple

And Tania said also known as Prudence Purple b'c in developing her website she got lots of in formation from the SSE YEarbooks and no doubt saw reference to that argument

Just checking my 2015 SSE Yearbook, the 2016 has not arrived yet, just one person lists it as Prudence and said that Gary Millwood of KY was the one who said Prudence was the original version and that Prudens was developed from that one.( if so they wouldn't be the same, see below)

All others listed it as Prudens.

Fact is that I think all agree that the desciptions for both are the same, just the difference of opinion as to the two names.

Carolyn
Old February 7, 2016   #28
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Carolyn. I do know better! I hadn't had my coffee yet! I did mean to type Pruden's Purple.

======

Steve, I did a comparison between three tomato varieties:

1884 Purple
Pale Perfect Purple
Dana's Dusky Rose

These were all the same colour.

Linda
Old February 8, 2016   #29
bower
Tomatovillian™

Steve, I grew PPP in 2013 - that year I was testing cold tolerance and set the plants in the greenhouse a month earlier than normal. PPP didn't grow any of the fruit it set early, and I believe it belongs in the general category of plants that won't grow fruit unless temps are above 70 F. It wasn't productive in the circumstances, and it was late, but the taste was excellent of those few fruit I got. Overall the first ripe was 146 days from germination, it flowered at 64 days but there was a big lag after that of 37 days before I had a pea sized fruit.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #30
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Steve, I grew PPP in 2013 - that year I was testing cold tolerance and set the plants in the greenhouse a month earlier than normal. PPP didn't grow any of the fruit it set early, and I believe it belongs in the general category of plants that won't grow fruit unless temps are above 70 F. It wasn't productive in the circumstances, and it was late, but the taste was excellent of those few fruit I got. Overall the first ripe was 146 days from germination, it flowered at 64 days but there was a big lag after that of 37 days before I had a pea sized fruit.
Thanks for your comments, Bower.

I’ve read that a week of daytime temperatures below 13 C (55F) will both stunt plant growth and impede root development to an extent from which the plant won’t fully recover. (How this can be reconciled with the fact that “The Cold Treatment” of seedlings, with temperatures between 11-13 C (52 -55 F) for 10 days to three weeks, is beneficial, I haven’t begun to understand.) In a season with a very cold early sommer, I got a few Kimberleys, and one or two each of Azoychka, Goose Creek, and Perth pride outdoors. Surprisingly, Sun Sugar did very well. In the greenhouse, which I kept above 13 C, even with some battling foliage problems, I got lots of fruit from all of the plants. (I’d given all the seedlings the cold treatment.)

I wonder if your experience with PPP has more to do with your “month early” experiment, and subsequent cool temperatures, than with the variety. I’ve also read that most tomato varieties prefer a temperature of 18-27 C (65-81 F). If you had consistently low temperatures, it’s not surprising the production was scant. There are a lot of reports of good yields with PPP.

Here are my notes:

Pale Perfect Purple Tatiana: “Pink…compact indet., potato leaf, good yield of perfect dusky pink round fruits, 4-6 oz, excellent sweet flavor; some cracking in wet weather.” Super producer! Creister: I found it to be a bit sweeter than Eva Purple Ball. EVP seemed a bit more complex flavored, but both are excellent” Carolyn: “ PPP has excellent taste and yielded very well for me…should be grown much more often” jwr6404, WA: “I've tried both Momotaro and Eva Purple Ball. Both were tasty with Momotaro being more productive, however Pale Perfect Purple IMO is far superior to both of them in taste and productivity. PPP is the most productive Tomato I have ever grown…when combining taste and productivity it is the best tomato I've grown here in the PNW. NAR and Caspian Pink tastewise are 1 & 2 followed by PPP. Never had any disease problems just Picture Perfect Plants (PPP) and Tomatoes. Bower, Newfoundland: “Eva Purple Ball and Pale Perfect Purple produced late and very scanty fruit for me here, so although they were delicious the taste overall was a little bit bitter..." [See 1884 Purple – better?] 65 days

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; February 8, 2016 at 04:14 PM.