Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 19, 2014   #106
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you had an amazing garden year so far, between the canning and cheese-making you've done a few things on my wish list that I've haven't gotten around to doing What beets are you growing? My apologies if you mentioned the type in a previous post, I may have missed it.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2014   #107
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ella, I'm in the same boat with some greenies. We had a slight frost this morning so I don't know if mine are ever going to turn. Fingers crossed!

Hi Vespertino. I am very happy with the way this year has turned out so far. I hope you had a nice year yourself! I am growing 3 Root Grex which is actually a gene pool instead of one variety. Apparently it throws quite a few colors/sizes of beets which I found intriguing. I will definitely keep you posted as to how they turn out

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2014   #108
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

This Sunday I finally got around to my final carrot thinning. I grabbed a few of the small guys, some swiss chard, beet greens, mustard greens and herbs and made a a nice minestrone soup for my husband who had been away all week (Sorry forgot to take a pic of the soup!).
I also made a few Vienna loaves to go along with it, because who eats soup without bread? Certainly not my husband!

I hope you all are having a beautiful autumn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Carrot Harvest 10-26-14.jpg (47.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Vienna Loaves 10-26-14.jpg (39.0 KB, 184 views)

Old November 12, 2014   #109
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey all, I finally got a little harvest from my fall garden. Some golden/white beets and beet greens (from the 3 Root Grex gene pool), snow peas (Oregon giant) and sweet baby carrots (Chantenay Red Core).

I sauteed them up with a little dill and served them with some Italian stuffed meatloaf. Very yum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fall Vegetables 11-12-14.jpg (36.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Dinner with fall veg 11-12-14.jpg (49.5 KB, 160 views)

Old November 12, 2014   #110
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Your food pics make me jealous of your husband. He probably thinks he is going to wake up any day now to find he was dreaming you, and those incredible meals
I do most of the cooking at my house and well, lets just say I aint no Martha Stewart

I agree with the person who said you should write a book about cooking/gardening, I would buy it even if it was just to drool over the pictures.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #111
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Looking very tasty!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #112
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind words, BigVan and Ella! Cheers

Old November 17, 2014   #113
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

We finally got to cut into our Aji Cheddar yesterday after 3 long months of waiting. I have to say that I am super impressed that were were able to nail the cheddar texture and taste on the first try! It is amazingly flavorful with a touch of floral heat at the end (from the Ajis) and the flavor of the raw milk really comes through as well! Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aji Cheddar 11-16-14.jpg (47.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Cut Aji Cheddar 11-16-14.jpg (15.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Sliced Aji Cheddar 11-16-14.jpg (36.6 KB, 128 views)

Old November 17, 2014   #114
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Emmm that cheese looks so good. Now i need to make my own cheese.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2014   #115
salix
Tomatovillian™

Kelli - that looks marvellous! So glad it tastes as good as it looks, you should be as proud as Punch.
Old November 17, 2014   #116
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

nice and spicy

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #117
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Kelli, that vienna bread looks delicious. Might I trouble you for the recipe?
Old January 14, 2015   #118
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Vespertino! Sure thing. It is from "The Bread Bible" by Beth Hensperger. Lately I have been removing about a TBS of butter from the dough and adding 1/2 cup very sharp cheddar in it's place and then a little more on top after I glaze before it goes in the oven. It's a really nice variation. I put an asterisk next to my personal notes. Let me know how they turn out! Cheers!

Vienna Bread

Makes 3 Oval Loaves

Sponge
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/2 TBS (1 1/2 packages) active dry yeast (*I swear by Red Star Platinum)
1 TBS white sugar
1 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees) (*I actually use my milk kefir here, it gives a slight sourdough flavor that is nice)
2 cups unbleached AP or Bread Flour (* I use King Arthur Unbleached Bread flour)

Dough
1 TBS salt
3 TBS unsalted butter, melted and cooled (*here is where I sometimes remove 1 TBS of butter and add 1/2 shredded sharp cheese )
3 1/2 - 4 cups unbleached AP or Bread Flour (* if using the cheese, the dough is a little dryer, so I usually only end up using about 3 cups, YMMV depending on humidity)
1 Egg Yolk beaten with 1 TBS milk
3 TBS sesame seeds (*plus 3 TBS extra shredded cheese, if using)

1. To make the sponge: (*this keeps the bread fresh for 2-3 days at room temp so please don't skip!) In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk or the paddle attachment of your mixer, pour in all of the sponge ingredients and beat hard until smooth and creamy (*about 1 minute). Cover with plastic wrap and let sponge rise in a warm spot until until foamy and about doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

2. To make the dough: Add the salt, butter (*and cheese if using), and 1 cup of flour to the sponge. Beat for 1 minute (*I use my paddle attachment until the dough gets too stiff to work with). Add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time (*I let the mixer go for about a minute after each addition to let the flour get fully absorbed so I can see if I need to add more). Stop when a soft dough is formed that just clears the sides of the bowl.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and springy, about 4 minutes. Dust with 1 TBS of flour as needed to prevent sticking.(* If you are kneading by machine as I do, switch to your dough hook and let it go for 5-6 minutes at medium/low speed or until the dough is smooth and springy. The dough should spring back when pressed and hold it's shape when formed into a ball).

4. Place dough in a deep greased container (* I just add oil to my mixing bowl, less dishes!) Turn once to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled or tripled in bulk, about 2 hours.

5. Turn the dough on to a lightly floured work surface. Grease a baking sheet (* I just use my baking sheet covered with a Silpat). Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each portion into a fat oval loaf. Place laves seam side down on your baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. let rise in a warm place until almost double in bulk, about 1 hour.

6. 20 minutes before baking, preheat your oven to 425 degrees, with a baking stone, if desired (* I don't have one and these turn out fine!). Using a serrated knife, gently slash the top of each loaf with 3 gashes, no more than 1/4 inch deep. Gently pinch the ends of the loaves to re-define tapering. Brush the dough with the egg glaze and sprinkle evenly with the sesame seeds (*and cheese, if using).

7. Place baking sheet on the center rack of you oven and bake for 10 minutes. reduce the oven temp to 375 degrees and bake another 25-30 minutes or until brown and crusty and the loaves sound hollow when tapped (*I start checking after about 20 minutes. Sometimes the glaze starts to get dark before the bread is finished baking. In that case, I cover the tops lightly with foil for the rest of the baking time.)

8. Transfer loaves immediately to a cooling rack. Cool thoroughly before slicing.

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; January 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old January 17, 2015   #119
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for that recipe! I may have to pick up a copy of the Bread Bible for my cookbook collection