Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 16, 2010   #46
GooberStraw
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to figure out how to build this system with what I have available to me. I have found where to get the majority of the materials but I am stuck on a few things.

My beds are approximately 12 feet in length, and will have 8 tomato plants each.

I can get 12 or 14 gauge galvinized wire for the anchoring lines.
  • Would 2ft of #3 rebar pounded into clay soil be enough to anchor these lines?
  • Is there a way to make secure loops out of wire when securing it to the rebar/turnbuckle/t-post?
  • I am thinking of cutting up wooden tomato stakes (about 1" by 1") for the spacers. Are there other frugal materials? Unfortunately, I don't have a table saw to split 2x4 lumber for this. Could I use pieces of 2x4 instead, or would that be too bulky or heavy?
I was looking into the wire cable but the swaging tool seems expensive for this one task and I'm not sure that the local HD type stores have the cables or sleeves.
GooberStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2010   #47
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Use a circular saw with a rip guide attachment. Clamp the 2x4 to the edge of a picnic table to secure it for cutting.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #48
roger33
Tomatovillian™

I would use Mason's Twine. Unlike nylon, it won't stretch.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
roger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #49
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else end up trying this and have input?

We're in a new place this year and had to leave 90% of my CRW cages behind during the move. Hubby is getting ready to build this system for me when I give the final okay. It would sure be cheaper than replacing all of that CRW since we have all of the supplies on hand except for Quikrete.

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #50
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Portable.
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #51
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

on the lines used for this, I am finding on ebay searching as suggested, the closest seems to be paracord, is this right? the photos here look like a smooth cord, the paracord on ebay has a visible braid pattern. Could be identical, but the pictures here not showing the detail. I don'd want to get something that's going to deteriorate quickly in the UV and heat from the sun.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #52
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
on the lines used for this, I am finding on ebay searching as suggested, the closest seems to be paracord, is this right? the photos here look like a smooth cord, the paracord on ebay has a visible braid pattern. Could be identical, but the pictures here not showing the detail. I don'd want to get something that's going to deteriorate quickly in the UV and heat from the sun.
This is the stuff I bought and from the same seller. I just need to string a couple more levels and then I'll take some good pics to post of it here. I'm loving it!

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #53
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago, got tired of the untreated wood tomato stakes, which we'd used for several years.

They looked bad, and continuously the bottom in the ground kept rotting away. These green plastic-covered metal stakes last a LONG time, take up less space, and with ridges built into design, hold jute very well !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-2.jpg (516.3 KB, 66 views)
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote