Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 20, 2012   #1
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish pepper variegation

I'm getting a little concerned about my "Fish" pepper plants. They have been set out in the full sun for a few days now after growing inside for 8 weeks or so. I think I remember they got white streaks/spots on the leaves earlier last year but not a one as of yesterday. Anybody growing these?
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #2
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

Mine get the streaking on their first true leaves and most of the leaves after that.
fischer1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #3
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

That's the way I remembered it. I know these are peppers, but what kind? lol. They have the leaf shape of lots of hot peps so I will grow them out, but I'm gonna b**** (complain) the whole time....

Last edited by rockhound; April 20, 2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 20, 2012   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Fish and another similar variety I can't remember the name of right now. Both are unstable for the stripes.

Fish Pepper is a rather unstable variety. Even tho you may have had the streaking the first year you grew it, seeds saved from those plants tend to be quite variable and many WON'T have the streaking. Neither will the peppers from those plants.

BUT the shape and heat of those fruit WILL have a similar if not exactly the same flavor and heat.

So grow them and enjoy the burn. They just won't be as pretty.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I have three Fish plants growing (seeds from Seed Savers Exchange) and none of them are variegated.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #6
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

The leaves and pods should be variegated. If not, its not a 'true' fish pepper, probably a cross of some kind.

I took a quick picture of mine. Its in my Peppers photo album.

Last edited by fischer1611; April 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added info
Old April 20, 2012   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Probably crossed.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #8
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

After reading this, I went out to check my two little fish peppers. Both of them are from new seed from Seed Savers Exchange. Each has four true leaves that are big enough to see, and a couple of tiny ones just coming in.

One definitely has some variegation, but I can't tell on the other. It looks like it has a few dots and some areas that might be lighter? Unfortunately, it got a little sun scalded a week ago, so I won't know for sure until it gets some new leaves.

Sorry to hear that this variety remains unstable. If you grow out several seeds from the fruit of a striped plant, would you still have a good chance of getting one that is striped? Or if one seed of a fruit isn't striped, would they all not be striped?

As usual, I'm confused.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #9
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

It should be stable, its 150 years old. As long as variegated stock is used and no cross-pollinating happens. They will all be variegated.
Unfortunately Peppers cross pollinate regularly if they are close to another variety.

If cross pollination happens with a regular leaf color Pepper all the next generation will have solid leaves. The variegated gene is a recessive.
Old April 20, 2012   #10
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Hey Good Gardening Folks,

Interesting thread and interesting pepper!

For the 7 years that I have grown Fish on average 4 out of 5 (Dang, sounds like a dentist's ad! <grin>) show the green/white variegated foliage and striped peppers.

Each season's climatic condition also seems to dictate when leaf variegation and fruit stripe appears--sometimes at first or second set of true leaf, sometimes not till early/mid season for the leaf. Some years I pick up more fruit stripe, some years more orange back ground before turning red. But flavor seems to remain the same--which is tasty, and heat will vary from right above Jalapeno level to double that--again depending on growing conditions.

So I am inclined to think it is indeed an older stable variety, but one that is affected by climate/region/growing conditions.

FWIW,
Paprika
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #11
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

Interesting...they should all have the expressed albinism recessive gene, unless they are cross pollinated. I do bet that environment dictates to a degree, "how much" and "when".

Do you separate your seeds by each pod? or by each plant? Or put them all together?

One of my favorite peppers right now is a Fish crossed on different colored Ghost Peppers.
Old April 20, 2012   #12
paprika
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=fischer1611;269712]Interesting...they should all have the expressed albinism recessive gene, unless they are cross pollinated. I do bet that environment dictates to a degree, "how much" and "when".

Do you separate your seeds by each pod? or by each plant? Or put them all together? (*answer* --Both, by pod and plant--never combined---as one never know--Do one? <grin>)

One of my favorite peppers right now is a Fish crossed on different colored Ghost Peppers ( Sounds good, but probably a wee bit beyond my heat tolerance these days! But, I am working on a milder cross of Hungarian Black x Fish, but had to drop back and pick it back up at F2 stage this season) [/QOUTE]

Hey Fischer!

I agree--they should be, but me thinks this is one of "those" varieties that show a lot "influencing factors". Two different years I trialed seeds from 2 different sources as well as my own bagged and saved seeds from 3 different seasons side by side(using only fruit from variegated leaf and desired stripe fruit)....and still picked up previously mentioned variation in generally same patterns from all. May be my seeding/growing methods, soil, star alignment, earth wobble <grin> ?!?

May have to beg seeds from you for further trial in future--if I can ever find enough room again <grin>! But my limited "sun area" now is full of finding that "perfect sweet/smokey/spice/bit of heat bite cross" of a large elogated paprika that will grow well in our humid region. The quest never ends!

Paprika
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #13
aropupu
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year i'm growing Fish Pepper so can't say much about stableness or so, but my plant only started expressing the variegation with the sixth or seventh pair of leaves or so, everything before that was pure green. At first, the variegation was very subtle lighter green spots on the leaves, and now that the plant has gotten bigger the variegation has gotten more evident:

(Got the seeds from a fellow finn, no idea about their original source.)
aropupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Fish is frustrating to me, as one who sells seedlings. I got some fresh seed from TGS - and it is highly variable as to variegation. My own saved seed also tends to be variegation variable - and my customers certainly don't wish to have an unvariegated Fish (which really isn't Fish at all).

I've got a nice one growing....variegation is much easier to maintain on a few others I like, such as Variegata and Trifetti - typically I can get 100% variegated foliage seedlings on those.
Old June 13, 2012   #15
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

NCT~ Thanks for the varietal names for those other variegated peppers, I might try one next time. I still have very minimal white splashes this year even tho peppers are 3 inches long.