Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 24, 2012   #1
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Opalka

I grew opalka last year, but after reading many posts I suspected I may not have had the true opalka. I ordered new seed from a different vendor, TGS, that just arrived, and the new seeds are uniformly 1/2 the size of my saved seeds. I became suspicious because they had very bland flavor eaten fresh from the vine, although cooked down and dried they were sweet. Also some pics I have seen looked right, some did not. Mine did not have the pronounced nipple end that I believe the pics of the true opalka have. As I have posted before, I am starting to see this in many varieties. Just read some posts recently about Mexico Midget (Carolyn) and others that are traded and sold that are no longer true. This can happen for many reasons, but I think human error is probably the main culprit, followed by accidental crosses. So I will grow out the new seeds and see if they are tastier fresh, and look more like Carolyns description of what they should be. I am sorry to say that I have sent some of the first seed out in swaps, erlyberd got some I know, and in the big swap this fall I sent in 5 packs. Don't remember if I had my initials on the seed packs or not, I believe they were in small ziplocks, maybe some in ziplock pill bags. They were bought from Tomatofest. Not blaming them because I see this is some what common, as with Mex. Midge and seed savers, as in Carolyns post. Not even sure at this point if they are untrue. I think it a good idea that we all strive to keep the strains true, and report and correct problems as soon as possible. The ones I grew made good sauce and were decent, just not sure if they are true, and will not trade those seeds further til I have a better handle on the situation.

kj
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Kenny, just so you know, several years ago TGS sent out Opalka seeds that were not right for the variety so you can be sure that they have been ever since. And when they got in the correct ones Linda sent the correct seeds to everyone who had ordered them based on their computer data.

As to the seeds being smaller than what you had before, I don't think that';s a problem and often reflects the way in which seed production is done and what method the seed source was using.

I could list here the many many varieties that have gone south and each year a few folks ask if I'd look at my older seeds so they can try to grow them out and get what's right. You probably saw that that's what we're doing with the variety Tadesse right now as explained in the Wanted subforum of the seed exchange.

Most of the problems, IMO , come from traded seeds that are X pollinated and folks passing them on b'c they never took the time to see WHAT a variety should look like.

So many times I've said that no one should plant any variety unless they know the plant habit, the leaf form, the color and size and shape of the fruits. But I also know that many don't even take the time to do that which I think is a HUGE mistake .
Old March 24, 2012   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

In 2008 I also bought Opalka seed from Tomatofest that did not grow true. The ones I got from TGS were spot on for Opalka, and I have been saving these seeds since.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #4
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I heard great things about Opalka and wanted to grow a few pastes last season. I ordered mine from TGS, and yes the seeds were smaller than I expected, but the plants grew out really well, unfortunately my garden season was not so great and I did not end up with any Opalka fruit.

I will again be trying out a variety of pastes this season, and I am growing Opalka again. (From same TGS pack) The seedlings are doing great, and I am hoping to get some fruit this year. I am growing about 9 different varieties of pastes to compare fresh, and as sauce/paste. I will grow one each of the Opalka and the other pastes, in my GH, and the rest will be planted in garden.. I hope the Opalka and all the rest are the original varieties. Time will tell.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #5
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
In 2008 I also bought Opalka seed from Tomatofest that did not grow true. The ones I got from TGS were spot on for Opalka, and I have been saving these seeds since.
TomNJ
Tom, I'm working on getting a couple seedlings through to transplant off some of those very seeds you saved. It's good to know they are true to the variety.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #6
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Thanx to all for the responses. Carolyn, I am impressed with the response by TGS. I have placed several orders to them since Oct and it is good to know they care about the integrity of the varieties. I almost didn't participate in the big swap because I feared, as a newbie to T'ville, that I might send out an untrue variety. And it happened. I was also concerened that I might recieve some that were untrue, and the law of averages says I probably have. I ordered about 20 varieties last year, from big vendors who probably pay google to be first on searches, and so far know pretty much for sure, that both sent me at least one untrue. Since then I have only ordered from vendors who are also t'ville members and or highly reccomended here.
Tom, thanx for letting me know. You would think 3 years would be long enough for T'fest to correst a problem. When one wrong seed is sent, it multiplies exponentially, thru trading AND selling of seeds, plants and fruit. It is sacreligious to do so knowingly.
Old March 25, 2012   #7
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, sorry for your problems last year, I have heard many say it was a tuff year. I actually had one of my best tomato patches ever, even with the septoria that I get every year. But because of my low laying land I usually don't plant out til into june a week or so. Just too wet. I have about 60 varieties started, and even in with just a set or 2 of true leaves one can see quite a variance in leaf appearance. I am going to try early this year, but will probably be a disaster, just one garden of 5, though.
I think I am done trading seeds in most cases for a while. I want to spend the next few years building a reliable stable of favorites that I know are true to type, and that will start by BUYING seed from a reputable vendor.