Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2012   #31
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wow Linda, you got your answer faster than I did, because I asked the same thing, but haven't heard back yet! I bought them anyway yesterday, so I'll just have to experiment and see what I get!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I sent the seller a question and got an answer today. These are NOT hybrid seeds. What a surprise!
I figured as much but have other issues on my mind right now so didn't post here before.

So the sungold seeds referred for that cheap price could be:

Sungold Select I
Sungold Select II

Both of the above developes and intro\iduced by Reinhard Karft, both are OP and neither one has the foliage scent

Big Sungold Select
Big Sungold Select II

Both of the above sent to Manfred Hahm directly and he sells seed off Reinhard's webpage.

I offered the last one for the past couple of years in my seed offer, my seeds from Reinhard, and it was genetically unstable as Brad Gates also found out, and no folliage scent either.

The foliage scent and taste appear to be linked genes and that's why making selections from the hybrid are difficult. There's one out there now called Sunlucky, a cross between Sungold F1 and Lucky Cross and some selections have retained the foliage scent which I don't care one whit about, just the taste. And who knows when and if SunLucky might be released.

Above, I can't remember the person who said that breeders retain the rights to a hybrid. That's true only if the breeder is an independent breeder and not associated as a faculty member at a college or University where any patents, monies from seed sales do NOT go 100% to the breeder.

So that would include, for instance:

Dr. Randy Gardner, NCSU. breeder of the Mountains series and many more such as Mt Magic F1, Smarty F1 and Plum Regal F1, and for the past several eyars I offered seeds for MM and Smarty and Plum Regalin a separate seed offer here b/c Randy was kind enough to send me the seeds.

Dr. Jay Scott, U of FL, breeder of many varieties including heat tolerant ones.
Old March 22, 2012   #33
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I would think they are simply seeds he has saved from Sungold plants.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #34
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Above, I can't remember the person who said that breeders retain the rights to a hybrid. That's true only if the breeder is an independent breeder and not associated as a faculty member at a college or University where any patents, monies from seed sales do NOT go 100% to the breeder.
Carolyn, I pulled that from another site but it was consistent with my limited understanding and knowledge of the matter. I knew that there were some property rights associated with a hybrid and I assumed that one would need to register it somewhere, somehow in order to protect one's interests.

So in the cases such as you listed with the colleges and universities... Is it that the school/university is considered the owner of the rights then? Does the actual breeder get any customary %?

I know there can be explicit conditions of employment and in the event of disputes employers have often gotten the legal nod. My FIL was an engineer at an aircraft mfg. He told me that over the years they had more than one case where employees who had put ideas forward at work, had them shelved/rejected and then developed something on thier own lost their rights becase they did not first get releases from their employer.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I would think they are simply seeds he has saved from Sungold plants.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine, most folks who save seeds from the F1 find that the growouts give them red fruits and that's b'c one of the parental inputs in all long truss cherry varieties is red fruited.

Yes, some do get the orange fruits, but they aren't all that genetically stable which is why it took Reinhard Kraft to get those two OP ones I mentioned above.
Old March 22, 2012   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So in the cases such as you listed with the colleges and universities... Is it that the school/university is considered the owner of the rights then? Does the actual breeder get any customary %?

That varies with the individual states and colleges and universities.

Look at it this way. those institutions pay salary to the faculty members, they offer them lab and office and often grow out areas to work with. They pay a good part of their benefits, health and otherwise. A faculty memeber may apply for grants, both Federal and other wise and part of that sof money goes back to the insituation for overhead costs.

And every faculty member knows all of that and knows that they won't have sole rights to what they develop.

Although I know several professional breeders at such places I've never asked them if they get a percentage cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Old March 24, 2012   #37
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I realise that but if he just wanted to make money it is an easy way to get lots of seeds to sell.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote