Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 19, 2012   #1
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Default Good varieties for Inland Southern California

I'm fairly new to this area and I wonder if anbody has any recommendations for varieties that will do well in this area which has hot dry summers, high 90's low 100's by late summer.
Last year was my first year and I grew quite a few varieties. Probably the best of which were sungold, momotaro, super sioux and porter improved.
Does anyone have any other suggestions, I have a number already to plant out including
Red brandywine
Stupice
Super sioux
Eva Purple ball
Vorlon
Red Zebra
Carbon
Paul Robeson
Cherokee purple
Sungold
Momotaro
Black cherry
Sweet Treats pink cherry

I'd love to know what others have experience with in similar or the same climate.

Thanks

David
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2012   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

One of our members (Vince) has been growing in Riverside for quite some time and maybe he will respond to your question. If not shoot him a PM and ask the question. Ami
Old March 25, 2012   #3
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

DavidP...I am just a little So. of you in Alpine. I am growing many that are on your list.
I am not a fan of stupice, however. It is early and productive, but not an exciting taste.
I am sorry to see no green when ripe on your list. I am sending a PM offering Cherokee
Green seeds to round out a good list. Love that Momotaro if you got the hybrid.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hi David! I am just South of you, nearly identical climate influence. Sunset 18 also. I grew many "new to me's" last year. Here a few that are making a repeat performance

Jaune Flamme - Great tasting small orange never stopped setting.
Druzba - Really nice real tomato flavor.
Stump of the World - Possibly my favorite
Goose Creek - Sweet and tasty

I always grow Sungold and it usually powers throught the heat. Although it does get hot here, we usually cool down (relatively) at night, which is much more favorable for tomates, and us too! You have a lot of good choices, some I am growing for the first time this year also, like Carbon and Siux. Have a great season! LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I would go with the Cherokee purple relatives, seems to be very heat and drought tolerant. For a paste, the striped roman did great for me last year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #6
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much for the replies and the kind offer of seeds. I'll try a green tomato this year, never eaten one before.

I've expanded my list a little with your help, managed to pick up a jaune flamme at the fullerton arboretum tomato sale, so we'll see what does well this year.

Thanks again

David
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote