Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2012   #1
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Default Too early to take seedlings outside?

Our forecast for the week is low to mid 70's. I'm wondering if I can take my seedlings outside for a couple of hours a day? They are still quite small. Most just developed their first true leaves this past week. They are currently in a room where the heat is turned off, so they have been exposed to cooler temperatures (but not to wind).

I have a porch where I usually set them in the Spring, but I have never had an opportunity to take them outside this early in the year (it is usually closer to April when I take them outside).
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've had mine outside in the 40s with just the cot leaves. I ease them out - 1 hour the first day, a little longer - now they spend days outside and come indoors if there is a frost risk.
Old March 11, 2012   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I do mine the same as Craig. If it is pouring rain or too windy I may not put them out but I start them outside when they are tiny as soon as the weather permits.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

For the first few days, only give them an hour of direct sun. I burned up my initial seedlings this year by forgetting them outside for the day. Glad I started back-up seedlings so I will be OK - - but lesson learned here.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #5
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I keep my seedlings under a covered deck for ~a week starting at 1 hour and increasing a little every day. For the 2nd week I'm hoping the nighttime temps are warm enough for them to stay outside.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #6
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good! I'll take them out for an hour tomorrow and increase the time gradually. I think I'll try the 40 degree rule of thumb next year. I definitely prefer to have the seedlings outside rather than in the house.

Raybo, thanks for the warning. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Guru, if you have had your seedlings out in zone 5, then I definitely won't have a problem. I'm in zone 6a/6b.
Old March 11, 2012   #7
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
Haven't put them out just yet as it's been too cool. Maybe later in the week. Don't trust Mother Nature as March is our snowiest month. I don't usually put them out for another month. Easing them into the elements keeps them healthier.
Old March 11, 2012   #8
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Guru,

Thanks for the clarification. I read too much into your initial post. You were just stating how you transition the seedlings outside, and I thought you had already moved them out.

When I read that, I thought it would be kind of early to move transplants outside for zone 5. It is usually somewhat cold here in zone 6 this time of year, but with the mild winter we had it looks like Spring is going to arrive early. Temps in the mid 70's is definitely not normal for us this time of year.
Old March 11, 2012   #9
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Mark, my best friend is from Cincinnati! She moved here many years ago, but always talks about growing up in a row house with her mother while daddy drove the country as a salesman. Many years ago.
Old March 11, 2012   #10
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I haven't attempted to put my teeny seedlings outside, but today was a lovely 60 degree day so I potted up a few plants outdoors. Left them out for about an hour or so, and whoa! Fell flat over (these are just a few toms I started about 6-8 weeks ago for a different project, not the regular garden and they were about 8" tall) while sitting outdoors. I took them inside and after a while they perked right back up. Kind of surprised me though that just an hour outdoors might have been a bit much, maybe they were too old and used to indoor living lol....

I'm too skeert to bring the babies out but then again, I've got plenty of time for hardening off. I think.
Old March 11, 2012   #11
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

I've had mine outside for a few days now, and they got their first dose of hazy sunshine this afternoon. We're a bit south of you, Mark, but the forecast is for 70's all week long, so I'm goin' for it! (I also declared today the first day of gin and tonic season, so it's official.)

The only risk is that we have a cold snap where it's hard to keep them outside. But even then, I've got a south-facing sunny porch that is sheltered from the wind, and, for harsh weather, a make-shift cold frame consisting of a large cardboard box and a piece of floating row cover.
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #12
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I am in zone 7a and I planted out my first 10 on February 18th with a thin plastic tarp over them. I planted out the other 40 on March 3rd. These are all in raised beds and have not grown noticeably since planting. However my theory is that the roots are growing well and will cause the plant to spring upwards very fast when warmer weather arrives. Daytime highs have been in mid 60s and nighttime lows in the high 30s and low 40s. Today was a rainy day in the mid 50s and the plants look great.I am just going by the 90day forecast from weather.com and if there was ever a year to attempt extra early planting, then this is it. Save back extras just in case I am wrong. I remember being wrong once or twice previously .
Tempt fate, the rewards might be outstanding.

ron

http://www.weather.com/maps/forecastsusnational.html
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have had about 50 plants planted out for a week here in Atlanta, and most are putting out new leaves, but slow growth. Like Ron, I believe that once temperatures are consistently above 75, they will explode with new growth.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I'm in 7a. I put my first tomato plants outside this am. Forecast for the entire week is showing highs near 70 and lows in upper 40's.

If this keeps up I will put some in the ground this weekend.

(Notice how everyone wants to put a little extra faith in a nice forecast at this time of year...)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #15
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I'm apparently slacking this year, I'm just now getting my seeds started this week(still waiting on a few to arrive in the mail), but the weather reports for this week look quite nice. I'm hoping to spend a good bit of it getting things ready for this years garden.