Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2012   #16
ezzirah011
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and thoughtful replies! I am not an organic gardener (yes, I know, don't throw anything at me, ok?) so I don't worry too much about bugs.

I am going to give it a go and let it sprawl and see what happens.
ezzirah011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
In middle TN we have the tomato fruitworm that will put holes in the majority of tomatoes grown to sprawl, regardless of type. So we cage, or stake if we want tomatoes.
I use BT, but dense foliage makes it hard to prevent them. One of the many reasons I doubt I'll ever sprawl tomatoes.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #18
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzirah011 View Post
I am not an organic gardener (yes, I know, don't throw anything at me, ok?) so I don't worry too much about bugs.
Don't feel bad, I'm not organic either.

All I can do is speak for myself.....last year I had smaller cages and stakes on my determinates. I had never grown them before. I'm kind of new at all this too.......been growing about 5 years now.
It was a great summer and the plants overgrew everything and then flipped over and were lying on the ground. Then I had trouble with the bugs on the ones lying on the ground.
You have to try what you think is best and then stick with it if it works.
Old March 14, 2012   #19
tedln

I stake, cage, or weave all of my tomato plants. I've tried just about every method over the years including sprawling. I simply appreciate the ease of maintenance provided by getting the plants off the ground. It also allows me to use the area below the tomato plants to grow other things like onions, squash, and lettuce while the tomato plants are growing skyward. I think I have the same weather in North Texas you have in Oklahoma, but I had a great garden season last year even with the heat and drought.

Another reason I don't let my tomato plants sprawl is the fact that copperhead snakes appreciate the shade of sprawling plants in the mid day heat. With the plants growing vertically, I can see every where I want to put my hands before I stick them in.

Ted
Old March 14, 2012   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

One thing about letting them sprawl is that they can start roots along the vines, which is good in heat and drought.
I had a determinate last year start a whole new plant from a sprawling branch. Ended up with a second harvest!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2012   #21
ezzirah011
Tomatovillian™

Ted - I think you would be surprised how different it is up here in Oklahoma City. We sit in a depression of sort and we have a different last frost date than people even 100 miles south of us, or Tulsa, which is an hour drive. It is just how our climate works.

I think I don't want to chance it and I will stake them. I am determined this year to get me some 'maters and enough to make a sauce! LOL (I normally don't get that many! I am such a noob..)
ezzirah011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2012   #22
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

ezzirah,

Personally I cage for space reasons, but when I was growing up my dad always let the cherries sprawl - because cherries and pears are small and light we didn't have the issue with them lying on the ground or have broken vines from weight.

Give it another trial this year with something other than just yellow pears - that particular variety will put up with any punishment and will keep growing so you won't know for sure if it's the best way to go for you until you try some larger types and let them sprawl. It's very likely you won't have to replant the yellow pear - they re-seed themselves pretty readily and you may have quite a few volunteers this year.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2012   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

The ants and sow bugs always seem to get my tomatoes when they're on the ground.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote