Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2012   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default favorite online tomato plant source?

I have lots of tomato plants started already, but I was thinking I may want a couple backups. Where is a good, reliable source tomato plants online? I'd just pick some up from a nursery this april, but I love the variety on online sources.

Thanks,
Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #2
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

There are 2 i've order from this yr. Fusion-power is a member here at selectedplants.com and i also order some plants from heirloomtomatoplants.com. Both came highly recommmended. I hope this helps
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #3
bulllake
Tomatovillian™

I ordered New Big Dwarf and Rosella Purple Dwarf from The Tasteful Garden.com
bulllake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #4
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Bulllake~ I would like to know just how you ordered plants from the site mentioned. It is only links and referrals to other sites. If they sell plants, please tell me where to click.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #5
bulllake
Tomatovillian™

Default Try This

tastefulgarden.com --- lower case --- or google it -- you'll see it .
bulllake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

At the home page they start out by saying they have the best plants on the web. That' doesn't turn me on as a come on and compared to other sites with correct information it does turn me off, I say gently.

And then I looked at the individual varieties and not ONE variety that was a hybrid was IDed as being a hybrid.

And then several were Ided as being heirlooms and are not, Sara Black, bred by Joe Bratka and Box Car Willie, bred by his father come to mind and there were several others not Ided correctly. THey have the wrong Rostova, but so do lots of other sites.

I agree with those who have said Fusions's Selected plants and will also point out that SSE ships a wide variety of tomato plants as well and feedback has been jsut fine, as it has with Darrel's ( Fusion) plants but Darrel offers a much larger number of varieties then anyone else I know of.
Old March 26, 2012   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i tried remys which i think is sampleseeds.com and was happy with my purchase. i cant confirm if remy always gives a free sample pack but i got one. i was also able to buy some herb seeds from her site. i think she is a member here

oops...not sure she does plants but a good site none the less
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJeff View Post
i tried remys which i think is sampleseeds.com and was happy with my purchase. i cant confirm if remy always gives a free sample pack but i got one. i was also able to buy some herb seeds from her site. i think she is a member here

oops...not sure she does plants but a good site none the less
YEs, Remy is a member here, posts a lot and has been a friend for many years.\\But she does not sell tomato plants, at least last I knew.
Old March 26, 2012   #9
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I second, or ummm I "third" the recommendation of DarJones' web site for a source of plants online.

http://www.selectedplants.com/

Darrell (fusion_power) is not only a member here, but he really is very efficient, polite, and helpful in working with you to select the best plants for your taste and your purpose. His pricing is very competitive, and I am sure he offers good quality plants (this is the first year I ordered some from him) but it was a positive experience and I am confident the plants will be very healthy and good quality.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #10
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Yes I would buy plants from Darrel at http://www.selectedplants.com/

I have had excellent experience there.

Last edited by swamper; March 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: misspelled buy
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have some nice seedlings I'm trying to home. I'm willing to ship them and won't even charge.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I have some nice seedlings I'm trying to home. I'm willing to ship them and won't even charge.
Oh that is so nice of you tracy! We do get awfully attached to those babies LOL. I usually take my extras to church or to the food outreach I am involved with at a park. Local thrift stores or food pantry are a good adoption center also. ( How is your little dog doing?)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #13
delaware
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllake View Post
I ordered New Big Dwarf and Rosella Purple Dwarf from The Tasteful Garden.com
I ordered those exact same tomatoes. I can't wait to taste them
delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #14
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Wow, Tracy, what a generous offer! Thanks so much! What varieties do you have that you are willing to send? Also, when is the latest you could send them?

Thanks everyone, I'm going to check out all these websites now. I'm headed off to selectedplants.com right after I post this.

Also, for those of you who ordered from selectedplants.com, how big were the plants and did they have flower buds yet?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #15
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Apparently "tastefulgarden.com" and THEtastefulgarden.com" are separate outfits. But after looking, I don't want to try either one.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote