Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2012   #1
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Default The Seeds are Sproutin', the Seeds are Sproutin' !!!

The Heirloom Growing Insanity spurred on by Carolyn, Craig, and many more fine people from Tomatoville and Garden Web has begun once again !!!

Year after year, start up a bunch of varieties and end up selecting which to plant based on how strong they look in early May.

Can only squeeze in up to 125, but all are strong since they were selected from about 300 transplants. Have regular friends/family that get some leftovers, and the weakies are dumped.

Most varieties will have only one representative, but a few historical favorites are rewarded with a couple more from their family ! Will followup as things progress !!! Wow, this is ALWAYS an exciting time of year getting things ready for the garden.

Here's what I've got going thus far:

http://materhead.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-season.html
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Hooray!

It makes me so happy when the little seedlings come up. I always have a little "contest" to see which ones come up first. You have a really nice blog going there. What's the story on the Zhong Shu tomato? Sounds interesting.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #3
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Hello there !

Zhong Shu #6, originally from China, somehow ended up being stored years ago by the USDA, and was distributed by "Farmers Cooperative Germoplasm Project, PI 628919".

I got mine from a Seed Savers offer when a member in 2005 and 2006. But honestly, I have ZERO idea what that whole USDA thing was all about.......but Carolyn and Craig are full EXPERTS at it, they'll explain if you ask.

It measured up to description given as follows: "80 days, indet, reg leaf, 8-12 oz. red globe, very good flavor, good yields." (actually, grew it once in 2005 as I recall, and was very productive). May plant it again this year !

Thanks regarding the Blog ! My wife Patsi works on it......I'm kinda an "oh, by the way, this is my hubby's hobby SUB-blog" if you want to see it ".....heheheheh.

Hope you have a great season this year !!!!
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm all excited too - it's so neat to see their little heads poke up. My peppers are all potted up, and my first flat of tomatoes too along with the broccoli. The chard is growing. And yesterday I took advantage of the lovely weather to plant the sugar snap peas outside in the garden. Of course, to day is cold. But that's ok, they won't mind.