Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2018   #31
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Probably will be.
I used a grease from the electrical supply place just for this purpose called STL 2.
Higher than a cats back.

I had to use aluminum conduit unions on brass fittings on Halon bottles in turbines.
Every year I would have to bust off the union if I didn't grease it.

They didn't even know why this happened when they first started putting copper on ships.
Using iron nails they turned to paste.
The more noble metal will be okay the less noble will be eaten up by this reaction.

Who ever dreamed up aluminum fittings for hoses to go on brass hose bibs is an idiot.

Worth
I am sure we have electrical grease back there too for the trailer fittings when the men work on the electrical stuff there, too.
Old March 11, 2018   #32
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I use silicone (plumbers) grease to lessen the galvanic issue. Plumbers teflon tape also works well for me. One could also use a plastic shut-off on the spigot, then the aluminum would contact only the plastic. I got one of those very light fabric covered hoses for my wife last year from Lowes (not the "expanding hose"). So far, so good, but I don't expect it to be around too many years.
-GG
I got a couple of those from Lowe's last year, too, and I mostly like them for their lightness and flexibility. But alas, they still kink, and I cannot just pull or flip the kink out. I must go to the kink and unkink it by hand every time. Not hard to do, but a time waster.
Old March 11, 2018   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I gave up trying to maneuver a regular hose around my raised beds. The space is too confined for heavy hoses and instead of bending around the corners of the beds, rubber and vinyl hoses would ride up into the bed, crushing whatever I had planted near the corners.

I've lost track of when I bought it, but it was probably three or four garden seasons ago -- the Pocket Hose with the brass fittings. I think the reason it's holding out so well is that after every use I disconnect and drain it, then store it in a plastic tub I keep out in the garden so that it's not sitting in the sun.

It's showing no signs of deteriorating, no leaking, and the fittings are holding out great. It's super light weight, easy to maneuver, never kinks, and easily bends around corners. It's not a "forever" hose, but I'll definitely replace it with another one when the time comes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My hoses look like they are junkyard rejects they are so old and beat up.
Water spraying all over the place fittings ran over by the truck and lord knows what else.
My next hoses will be if I can afford them will be 3/4 forestry hoses on a reel.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #35
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

Hoses are 'horses for courses'.

How are you using it? What do you need? What do you want? Does it stay attached in one place serving one function? Are you moving it about from place to place then coiling it up and putting it away somewhere when you are done? Different courses, different horses. And clearly, judging from responses here and elsewhere, there is no perfect horse... er, hose.

- The fittings. The aluminum fittings on the Flexzilla are anodized. Without going into detail (which I can't) anodizing is a chemical treatment that forms an insulating barrier between the aluminium base and whatever metal it comes in contact with... which prevents galvanic corrosion. It works for me. I attach a 6' utility hose to a galvanized spigot and it stays attached all summer with no issues (I like leaving a handy short hose attached for quick easy fills of whatever needs a quick fill). From that point on, everything is quick-tach or plastic shut off, and temporary. Could this thin anodized barrier be scratched or gouged off in rough or dirty use, enough so as to expose enough metal to matter, yes, I suppose it could. But, not the way I use it. (I do use teflon tape. I use teflon tape for darn near everything. Just a habit whether it's needed or not)

- The hose. I keep my hoses coiled in a shed when not in use. A 75' hose and a 50' hose. I take them out and haul them around and put them away when I'm done. I want a light, flexible hose that is simple and easy to haul and handle... and stays that way. I have enough work involved in this hobby, I am looking for ways to ease the load, not add to it.

(same reason I got rid of my old 70 lb. speaker cabinets and replaced them with lightweight 30 lb. speakers... I don't get paid enough to haul around 70 lb. cabinets after a gig... actually, I usually don't get paid anything)

I only have two years experience with four sets of Flexzilla hoses (two here in town and two up at the farm). And so, far, yes, I really do like them. A lot. Best hoses I have used. Maybe they will fall apart this year and I will say never again... But, so far, they've been Aces.

But, my hose duty is light duty and clean duty. Would I like the same hose if I were running a truck farm or some other type of commercial or semi-commercial operation? Probably not, at least not for all uses. Not my question to answer; Not my use or concern.

It's 'horses for courses'; 'hoses for uses'. There isn't a perfect for everyone hose. Attributes such as lightweight and flexible are, in varying degrees, at odds with attributes such as sturdiness and kink-free (i.e. conduit).

Last edited by PaulTandberg; March 11, 2018 at 02:19 PM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the other thing to think about when purchasing a hose is your water pressure. getting a big 3/4" hose or even a 5/8" hose may be too big to give you decent water pressure when you use your hose.
Old March 11, 2018   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
the other thing to think about when purchasing a hose is your water pressure. getting a big 3/4" hose or even a 5/8" hose may be too big to give you decent water pressure when you use your hose.
You are going to hate me for this but the bigger the hose the better.
Less friction loss.
What you are seeing is velocity not pressure.
The higher the velocity the higher the friction loss in pressure and usable water.

This is why I ran 1-1/2 and 1 inch irrigation lines not 3/4 and 1/2.
More gallons per minute due to less friction loss.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #38
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

When I use a water breaker there isn't enough pressure to make a nice flow on some of the heads with the larger diameter hoses.. the larger the holes the worse they perform.
Old March 12, 2018   #39
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Craftsman black hexagonal hose. Next best is Craftsman hexagonal hose. You simply cannot go wrong with these! Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, they are worth the money!!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #40
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Worrh. Bigger the diameter less pressure loss due to friction. So if you have to have a log hose get one with large diameter
Most common size is 5/8". I would avoid 1/2" at all costs. I hand water my garden and like good flow to do the job fast.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #41
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

How do you coil the hose in a figure 8? Do you leave it coiled on the ground? I have used a hose reel, that was OK but work to reel back up again each time. I now have gone back to using the hose hanger attached to the house, but it is not high enough to do a figure 8 with the hose, not sure it would work. I leave the hose attached to the spigot all the time, just wind it back up when done. It is way too heavy and too much work to drain and put away and take out again every day. In Summer it takes 2 days to water the entire lawn moving the hose around every 3-4 hours. I have too many corners, trees, shrubs and beds to water around on my corner lot to get it done any faster. I have a small lot but a lot of irregularly shaped areas to water. I need to measure and see if I can get away with a 50 ft hose, but I don't think so. Maybe a 50 foot in the front and a 75 ft in the back. Going to hit youtube and see about ways to coil the hose that might help.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #42
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC_keZwhplc

same technique but with a small coax cable that might be easier to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sO62Gvqp4

Figure 8 on the ground (I don't have room to leave a hose like this because it is right by the back door and it would be a trip hazard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sO62Gvqp4

Figure 8 on top of hose hanger (this would not work for 100 ft hose, it would be too big for most hangers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqWgwRLmB0

Going to keep looking. Maybe one method will work for you.
Old March 12, 2018   #43
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

This is neat. If anyone has used this and can tell me how sturdy it is, that would be great. I am afraid those little things will start to break after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCplBMnvMg
Old March 12, 2018   #44
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Sue, I like that too, I'm definitely getting a couple of them. It's got great reviews on amazon.

I get no money from posting this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Geckos-Toes-W.../dp/B004KTLP10

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 12, 2018 at 03:28 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #45
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheap Hose

My dad was a civil engineer and built a hose factory once. His advise was to buy the best hose you possible can find, period. A cheap hose is a cheap hose and nothing but trouble. As usual he was right.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote