Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2013   #61
bower
Tomatovillian™

I grew some 'heatless Habaneros' this year. The fruit were fairly small and ripened red, with just a wee bite to them to tingle the tongue and a lingering, low note burn to the throat.
I'll admit it, I'm way too much of a wimp to taste a real habanero! I love the sound of the Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce and similar stuff.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2013   #62
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I grew some 'heatless Habaneros' this year. The fruit were fairly small and ripened red, with just a wee bite to them to tingle the tongue and a lingering, low note burn to the throat.
I'll admit it, I'm way too much of a wimp to taste a real habanero! I love the sound of the Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce and similar stuff.
I had not heard of the heatless habaneros...I will try them. Aji Dulce and Trinidad Perfume were both excellent and I liked to stuff them with cream cheese! The "real" Habs are just too hot for me anymore...I want heat but I want to be able to taste the food and not spend the next 20 minutes wondering how on earth I can stop my mouth, lips and tongue from frying!
Old September 14, 2013   #63
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
It could be pan fried in oil or deep friend, without batter. You can tell by the blisters on the skin. I had them deep fried, very good way to cook them.
I have never heard of deep frying them without batter. Is the outside cooked but the inside still fairly firm? Are they stuffed with anything?
Old September 14, 2013   #64
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I had not heard of the heatless habaneros...I will try them. Aji Dulce and Trinidad Perfume were both excellent and I liked to stuff them with cream cheese! The "real" Habs are just too hot for me anymore...I want heat but I want to be able to taste the food and not spend the next 20 minutes wondering how on earth I can stop my mouth, lips and tongue from frying!
I grew out several Trinidad Seasoning, a Roberto's Seasoning, and a Granada Seasoning this year. These pepper plants took a long time to produce, relative to their brothers (Bells, Hyrbrid Godfather, Italian frying, etc.), but once they started to set fruit, they didn't look back. Today, I'm drying them and plan to bend up a spice mix. I really like the floral flavor they impart, and every time I get a whiff of one, I expect the heat of a habanero to hit me... but it's not there.

I'm also pickling several other peppers today -- Tam Jal, Pepperoncini, Italian Frying, etc. I'm going to try this recipe:
http://walnutspinney.blogspot.com/20...rs-or-hot.html

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve on it, please feel free to respond.

--naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2013   #65
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I grew out several Trinidad Seasoning, a Roberto's Seasoning, and a Granada Seasoning this year. These pepper plants took a long time to produce, relative to their brothers (Bells, Hyrbrid Godfather, Italian frying, etc.), but once they started to set fruit, they didn't look back. Today, I'm drying them and plan to bend up a spice mix. I really like the floral flavor they impart, and every time I get a whiff of one, I expect the heat of a habanero to hit me... but it's not there.

I'm also pickling several other peppers today -- Tam Jal, Pepperoncini, Italian Frying, etc. I'm going to try this recipe:
http://walnutspinney.blogspot.com/20...rs-or-hot.html

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve on it, please feel free to respond.

--naysen
I grew Corbaci for the first time and liked it a lot. It made great chili powder. It was slow to turn red 'tho, even here in Mexico. I also grow Tobago seasoning...wonder if it's the same pepper as Trinidad? I agree about production...the Corbaci and the Tobago Seasoning were just dripping with long curly peppers and usualy three colors on plant at same time. The plants do look quite spectacular.

I do pepperoncini but any time I have ever "processed" peppers, they are not crisp enough. I use the basic pickling recipe on your link but NO WATER...I bring it to a boil, turn off heat, add pepperoncini, stir for about 5 minutes and then remove the pepperoncini and pack tightly into jars. Allow the liquid to cool and then pour into jars. No processing because there is no water in this recipe and the vinegar is an anaerobic environment. I store them in a cool dark place. GREAT!!! Really crisp. I do the Greek pepperoncini too but they can get a mite hotter taste-wise but I sure like them. I also do a pepper called "Sweet Pickled Pepper". They are absolutely loaded with fruit in a variety of colors and using the recipe above, make the tastiest, crispest peppers. This plant is really productive and colors up early. I pretty much like pickled anything...(except maybe pigs feet, which I have eaten but was not too turned on by...)
Old September 15, 2013   #66
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It's all soft, inside out. They can be fried whole, so you can pull the seeds out with the stem after cooking. Usually not seasoned until after cooking. A sprinkle of salt is good enough. Have you had Chinese Szechuan beans? They are deep- fried in hot oil first, before they are mixed up with sauce, same idea, the beans are also fried naked
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2013   #67
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I grew Corbaci for the first time and liked it a lot. It made great chili powder. It was slow to turn red 'tho, even here in Mexico. I also grow Tobago seasoning...wonder if it's the same pepper as Trinidad? I agree about production...the Corbaci and the Tobago Seasoning were just dripping with long curly peppers and usualy three colors on plant at same time. The plants do look quite spectacular.

I do pepperoncini but any time I have ever "processed" peppers, they are not crisp enough. I use the basic pickling recipe on your link but NO WATER...I bring it to a boil, turn off heat, add pepperoncini, stir for about 5 minutes and then remove the pepperoncini and pack tightly into jars. Allow the liquid to cool and then pour into jars. No processing because there is no water in this recipe and the vinegar is an anaerobic environment. I store them in a cool dark place. GREAT!!! Really crisp. I do the Greek pepperoncini too but they can get a mite hotter taste-wise but I sure like them. I also do a pepper called "Sweet Pickled Pepper". They are absolutely loaded with fruit in a variety of colors and using the recipe above, make the tastiest, crispest peppers. This plant is really productive and colors up early. I pretty much like pickled anything...(except maybe pigs feet, which I have eaten but was not too turned on by...)
Hi BB-

Tobago was one of the five or so I tried, but I guess (according to my records) I didn't manage to get a seedling to germinate. I think it's very similar to Trinidad. I haven't heard of or tried Corbaci, but it sounds great. Yep, those plants are very nice to look at with their scads of or green, yellow, orange, and bright red peppers everywhere popping.

Thanks for the comments on the pepper process. So do you also follow the brining step indicated? If so, do you add any additional salt to your vinegar mixture (I don't see any indicated in the recipe I linked)? How about sugar amounts? I think I'll give your process a try. Everything I've read in researching this lately suggests that processing/cooking the peppers turns them to a mush, sometimes a brown one.

Thanks!
Naysen
Old September 15, 2013   #68
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi BB-

Tobago was one of the five or so I tried, but I guess (according to my records) I didn't manage to get a seedling to germinate. I think it's very similar to Trinidad. I haven't heard of or tried Corbaci, but it sounds great. Yep, those plants are very nice to look at with their scads of or green, yellow, orange, and bright red peppers everywhere popping.

Thanks for the comments on the pepper process. So do you also follow the brining step indicated? If so, do you add any additional salt to your vinegar mixture (I don't see any indicated in the recipe I linked)? How about sugar amounts? I think I'll give your process a try. Everything I've read in researching this lately suggests that processing/cooking the peppers turns them to a mush, sometimes a brown one.

Thanks!
Naysen
Naysen, I do the brining and don't add any additional salt. I have tried every recipe known to man for canning peppers and every one of them made the peppers too soft and the thinner the skin on the peppers the worse it cooked them. You can fiddle with the sugar amounts...I seem to like less sugar in the hot pepper brine and more in the sweet pepper brine.

We love pepperoncini and always have some with every meal. I will tell you that if you let them get red, all kinds of heat! It is a satisfying pepper to grow because the plants are loaded with fruit and seem to just keep pumping them out all season.

Mary
Old September 15, 2013   #69
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It's all soft, inside out. They can be fried whole, so you can pull the seeds out with the stem after cooking. Usually not seasoned until after cooking. A sprinkle of salt is good enough. Have you had Chinese Szechuan beans? They are deep- fried in hot oil first, before they are mixed up with sauce, same idea, the beans are also fried naked
This is interesting...I have had Szechuan beans..I love Szechuan food because I like spicy stuff! I will have to try this with the jalapenos. I would think you have to be careful and not fry them too long? They do this with Padron peppers in Spain kinda..they pick them little, green and immature and saute in olive oil and then serve with a sprinkling of sea salt. This Tapa (appetizer) is served everywhere in Spain. Padron peppers, if allowed to get large and/or turn red are some hot mothers...
Old September 15, 2013   #70
tedln

Quote:
The restaurant peppers are still crisp inside though the skin is wrinkled. They still have the stem attached to use as a handle while eating them. They have also not been de-seeded. My guess is they are flash steamed. That probably requires some special cooking equipment normally not found in most homes.

Ted
Old September 15, 2013   #71
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Well, I pickled up a dozen pints today using Mary's modifications on the recipe/process I linked. They look pretty good. Many of my peppers were already overripe, so I expect they'll end up soggy regardless of my bypassing the processing.

I feel slightly uneasy about keeping pints of peppers under vinegar that haven't been vacuumed or heat-treated. That said, I can see how 24h of salt brining and then submersion in 5% acetic acid would be not the most hospitable environment for most terrestrial bacteria.

I can't wait the month or two to try them out, but I'll try.
-naysen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0881.jpg (295.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0882.jpg (133.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0883.jpg (146.0 KB, 82 views)
Old September 16, 2013   #72
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, I pickled up a dozen pints today using Mary's modifications on the recipe/process I linked. They look pretty good. Many of my peppers were already overripe, so I expect they'll end up soggy regardless of my bypassing the processing.

I feel slightly uneasy about keeping pints of peppers under vinegar that haven't been vacuumed or heat-treated. That said, I can see how 24h of salt brining and then submersion in 5% acetic acid would be not the most hospitable environment for most terrestrial bacteria.

I can't wait the month or two to try them out, but I'll try.
-naysen
Well I am alive Naysen and have probably done it this way for about 20 years...I have tried to kill off relatives, but so far, no luck The salt probably kills off as much as the vinegar. They look real good. The brining may have firmed up some of the softer ones, sucking out almost all the moisture. The other thing I do basically the same way is brined pickles...I don't care what you do, if you process them, they are never crisp.
Old September 16, 2013   #73
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been successful in growing cucumbers for the past three years. The plants just fizzle up and die after about a month. I now know it's because I have a problem with Fusarium and Verticillium in my soil. I might have to try grafting cucumbers onto F/V resistant rootstock...not sure which. I do love sour dill pickles, and it's good to know I can use a similar process to what I learned yesterday for jarring them up.
Thanks.
-naysen
Old September 17, 2013   #74
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Question for Naysen and Mary - when you pickle peppers, what are the pros and cons of removing the stems? The recipe says to leave the stem on and cut slits in the peppers, but I see Naysen, that you removed the stems (and maybe the seeds?). My preference would be to remove them, but I'm wondering if doing so will affect the crispness since the inside of the pepper is so completely exposed to the brine and picking liquid. Thanks!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2013   #75
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I'll leave the official response to Mary. I'm the tyro on this block. I had already pulled the stems on most of my peppers when harvesting before reading up on the pickling recipes. I noticed the same instructions as you point out. That the stem should be intact and slits made in the sides of the peppers. I'm not sure how one would result in a firmer pepper, since both scenarios result in the same vinegar inundated pepper -- at least I think that's the point of the slits. I think pepperoncini classically come with stem attached, so that's probably why they're not removed in the official recipes. All this said, I've not tried my product yet, so who knows what it will taste/feel like. I have to wait for a couple months to give those peppers time to fully suffocate in their new, liquid-acid graves.
-naysen