Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 9, 2018   #181
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My 2018 order was from the 2017 listings and everything came through just fine.
Old January 9, 2018   #182
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Glenn called me yesterday to see how I was doing and of course the conversation went on from there.

What he has already done is the following. His first website was paid for by two folks, Amy Goldman, now Fowler, and myself, each half of the money.

That first website was put up by Dr.Jeff Mc Cormack, yes,the same one who used to own SESE who also did website design.

Linda couldn't make the changes they wanted to make without going back to Jeff, so they decided to do some research for a new host and are happy about their choice.

Without going into more detail,that's where things are right now.

Carolyn, who also got some good advice from Glenn since both toilets here are non functioning right now,got thru all that frigid weather for this to happen,and yes,I do have a commode that I can use,yes, local contacts have been made. Glenn said it was always a concern of his, not just where the septic tank is for his home, but also the water/heat in many of the out buildings as well..Meaning the office building, the building where the seeds are stored and packed, all the shelters where his heirloom birdies are, etc.
Old January 9, 2018   #183
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys- I'm just finishing my order sheet now. Sounds like a rough winter Carolyn, one thing after another, I hope things warm up for all of you out east
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018   #184
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

It looks like they are working on their website tonight. I keep getting error message that the domain is not connected to the internet.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #185
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Check it out today. He still has work to do, but the 2018 plant info is there.

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/vegetables
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #186
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I really like the look of the new site. The PDF for the 2018 ordering form is there too. Click through Seeds and Roots.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #187
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice! I mailed my order today!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #188
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Looks nice! I mailed my order today!
And it arrived back in my mailbox today - everything I ordered with several bonus packs. Thanks, Glenn and Linda (and all the elves)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018   #189
HastingsMN
Tomatovillian™

I ordered four winter squash varieties and got two tomatoes as bonus: Edelrot and Granny Cantrell. I wasn't allowed to order any new tomato varieties until I had more of a dent in the packets I acquired the last two years, they must have known bonus packets don't count. :-)

Granny Cantrell has rave reviews on Baker Creek's website and they're both listed as mid-early so I'm looking forward to them. I lost all my late tomatoes last year to late blight for the first time, didn't get a single Brandywine or any of my German pinks or bicolors, which my mom likes best. Have to learn about spraying programs for this year.

I sent the order the 14th or 16th I think? Anyway, a timely turnaround as far as I'm concerned.
HastingsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #190
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Hastings-Granny Cantrell is one of my very faves. In Colorado however it is a later tomato for me but prolific and worth the wait. Maybe it will be different for you, but just wanted to give that heads up. Hope you will like it too!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #191
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I was fine with the old website--simple. A great reference source.

I do like the simple changes they have made; Im sure it is a bit of work as there is an encyclopedia's worth of info.

Hope it works well for them.

Planning to order sweet potato slips---I ran thru the numbers based on his detailed information; looks like this area might support these heat lovers now that our summers have heated up over the years.( happy dance)

His corn selection ALMOST convinces me to grow corn. ALMOST.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #192
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from Sandhill several times over the last dozen years and they are top notch. My only complaint is that they have not yet modernized their payment system. The hassle of ordering from Canada and by money order is especially frustrating and a deterrent.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #193
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
I have ordered from Sandhill several times over the last dozen years and they are top notch. My only complaint is that they have not yet modernized their payment system. The hassle of ordering from Canada and by money order is especially frustrating and a deterrent.

Alex
Alex, I'm looking at Glenn's 2017 catalog right now and what I see is the following.

For seeds, Roots and Book orders

Shipping and Handling for US seed orders, $3.00 US only

Foreign seed orders ( Canada, add $8 US, other foreign add $10 US/order.

I didn't look at the new site since you had said "over the last several Years".

I don't see anything saying via Money orders at all. And most of my friends in Canada,which are many,keep US cash on hand or can get it from a local bank.

Where have I gone wrong,always a possibility,such as can you have a money order made out to send to Glenn and Linda in US dollars?

Tania sends all over the world, that I know,so does Jeff Casey, but there is one place, has Heritage as part of the name that won't send to the US, so what folks do is to have that place send what they order to someone in Canada,who will then repackage it and send it to the US.

I know part of this is related to Canadian/US Customs, as to shipping anything live, like roots,etc, from US to Canada and having to have a phytosanitary certificate to do so, which is too expensive for any single person to do.

Just trying to be helpful, but maybe not.

Carolyn
Old January 30, 2018   #194
HastingsMN
Tomatovillian™

Money orders require you to go to a bank (still do, don't they? It's been a long time - my bank might have them on their app now) and for a lot of people physical banking and checks are not an everyday part of their lives anymore. I had to go hunting for my checkbook, and the last dated check was two years ago! :p I bet a lot of my undergrad students have never written one.

Processing credit cards can be a pain for a small business, as they note on their site, but for a lot of customers, ordering from Sandhill will take more dedication/time than for a place where your iPad autiomatically fills in your credit card number in the appropriate field on the web page. But people looking for heirlooms and rare varieties will probably be willing to go the extra mile.

Susanne

Last edited by HastingsMN; January 30, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
HastingsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #195
MdTNGrdner

Well said, Susanne. I will always go the extra mile for Sand Hill, because I love what they do - but it is a little "extra". On the other hand, something about that quaintness is appealing too.