Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 18, 2018   #181
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Imagine, I used to think that Texas was always hot and dry!
I have enjoyed reading how you and others in different parts of the world cope with your particular circumstances in growing tomatoes or anything. Almost a form of armchair travel, I am learning lots.
When I was much younger, I used to think Canada had snow on the ground all year long - except Toronto.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #182
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Yes, three replies in-a-row. This one isn't quoting anyone. I looked at the 5 gallon buckets today while watering - In a post earlier, I jokingly wrote about them being Texas sized beer cups, but in a way, that's what they are. Bottom watering could be possible. It's probably how Earth Boxes work? (I've never seen one in real life.) If so, that would give me more confidence of keeping out the soil borne diseases, and it would be much easier to water. Something like the picture on the left?

Your thoughts?

Im testing something like this with 5 gallon buckets this year. Im doing a couple of them with dwarf tomato plants, and a couple with cherry peppers. Each planter is 2 stacked buckets. The top bucket holds the potting mix and has drain holes, a filler tube, and a wick at the bottom. It sits inside the bottom bucket which just has a few overflow holes drilled in the side just below the bottom of the upper bucket. Ill post a picture when i get home if i remember. You can find other designs by googling sub irrigated planter or sip bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #183
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I've grown peppers in a set up like that, but usually Chinenses, which are sort of short and bushy. Earthboxes do work the same way, and I usually grow Dwarf project tomatoes in those. They seem like they would be top heavy and likely to blow over. I've had Earthboxes blow over if the resevoir runs too low.

The first picture has tall Poblano peppers in an Earthbox, with the short Chinenses peppers in the self watering buckets out front.

The next three pictures are an assortment of Chinenses peppers in buckets. The second and third ones are when the plants are younger, and show the bucket set up a bit more clearly.

The last picture is intended to show how big Dwarf project tomatoes can get, but they are hard to see, because they are in partial shade in the back.

ETA found a better one. BTW, it is usually crazy hot and dry hereby now, but THIS May has been amazing!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171015_093229.jpg (468.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171015_093219.jpg (778.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170806_112957177_HDR.jpg (606.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170702_133705688.jpg (476.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160730_100631656.jpg (363.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170630_115734.jpg (697.9 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 18, 2018 at 07:34 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #184
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, three replies in-a-row. This one isn't quoting anyone. I looked at the 5 gallon buckets today while watering - In a post earlier, I jokingly wrote about them being Texas sized beer cups, but in a way, that's what they are. Bottom watering could be possible. It's probably how Earth Boxes work? (I've never seen one in real life.) If so, that would give me more confidence of keeping out the soil borne diseases, and it would be much easier to water. Something like the picture on the left?

Your thoughts?
Salt, do you want me to post a YouTube video of an Earthbox and setting it up/planting it? You will probably understand EBs better.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #185
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Salt, do you want me to post a YouTube video of an Earthbox and setting it up/planting it? You will probably understand EBs better.
Marsha, that would be very nice. Then me and others can see how and why it works.
Old May 18, 2018   #186
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha, that would be very nice. Then me and others can see how and why it works.
Hope this link works. https://youtu.be/2y2QUifx2gg
Old May 18, 2018   #187
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marsha, the link works, and it is very useful info. Thank you. (You know I have questions...right?)

I will be asking questions like this one: How does the earth boxes not keep the mix too wet?

Your posted video helped me wake up from what doctors and patients call, "Brain Fog" - often caused by narcotic medicines, but some diseases cause it on their own without medication. I'm not medicated, but did slip into that mind fog today.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I am watching videos after that one. The more I watch - the more questions pop up. In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayaD5N8j1U , the man adds dolomite lime to make the mix alkaline for growing tomato plants. What I have learned is that tomato plants like 6.3 to 6.8 acidic soil. (Mix wouldn't be different would it? They would still want the PH to be 6.3-6.8?)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old May 18, 2018   #188
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

pH of peat without the lime is about 3. The lime brings up to about 6.8.
Old May 18, 2018   #189
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

There is only a punch down of the peat in 2 small areas to allow for perfect wicking, not overly wet at all.
Old May 19, 2018   #190
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
pH of peat without the lime is about 3. The lime brings up to about 6.8.
That's why I kept every bag of the different mixes I bought this spring. I need analysis of the ingredients. I didn't realize that peat was that acidic at 3.0 - I had read that it is closer to 4.5 PH. I did not amend with dolomite. Fresh wood ash from oak will be readily available for the fall containers. However, I need to research the other ingredients. But first, see results from what mixes I'm growing in. The only more basic thing was growing in white buckets.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 19, 2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old May 19, 2018   #191
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I planted out in the last week of April which is late for this area of Texas for tomatoes. It was a last minute thought in late March - why not give container growing a chance? That's part of the reason why I'm so far behind. Disability sucks, and May is missing in this season - so is rain.

There are a lot of things that factor in.

Oh, and the thought of rain washing out nutrients - get over it. Water is why everything lives.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 19, 2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 19, 2018   #192
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That's why I kept every bag of the different mixes I bought this spring. I need analysis of the ingredients. I didn't realize that peat was that acidic at 3.0 - I had read that it is closer to 4.5 PH. I did not amend with dolomite. Fresh wood ash from oak will be readily available for the fall containers. However, I need to research the other ingredients. But first, see results from what mixes I'm growing in. The only more basic thing was growing in white buckets.
I don't know anything about wood ash except it's a good source of potassium, if I recall correctly. Earthbox insists on dolomite lime, and I grow only in Earthboxes, so that's what I use. A 50 lb bag is only $6 at HD. Sunniland Brand yellow and white bag.
Old May 19, 2018   #193
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I planted out in the last week of April which is late for this area of Texas for tomatoes. It was a last minute thought in late March - why not give container growing a chance? That's part of the reason why I'm so far behind. Disability sucks, and May is missing in this season - so is rain.

There are a lot of things that factor in.

Oh, and the thought of rain washing out nutrients - get over it. Water is why everything lives.
That's another thing about Earthboxes. The nutrients are sealed in, and the water wicks upward, the nutrients are used, but not washed out.
Old May 19, 2018   #194
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Earthbox should issue you stock Marsha, you're the best advertisement/saleswoman they could ever put to together. Mr Whisenant's gift, I'm gonna get a few soon.

Hope the fog stays away Salt. And from what I hear, you really have to watch out for The Mist, or at least Netflix and Mr King say so.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018   #195
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gerardo

The fog is gone. I recover in different ways after a very active day, and this time it's not in a favorable way. I was able to put on clothes myself this morning which is a good thing. I am glad that I got all of the things done that I did, but I'm going to have to pay for it for a while. I hope it doesn't last for days. I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy type two and Fibromyalgia is tagging along. I don't take meds for it. It's also called Causalgia and CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome).

Marsha, I can see the benefits of the earth boxes in your pictures. The video did help a lot. I did go out to check the PH level in the containers, but I think my meter has gone bad. Each container read between 6.8 and 7.0. I will have to buy a new one.