Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old November 10, 2011   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Any new Tomatoes for 2012?

Worth started a thread a few days ago in the "Starting From Seed" section about seed sowing time being right around the corner. It got me to wondering if anybody in the SETTFest crowd had come across any new varieties that looked like good candidates for our area. So far the only thing that I am going to try that will be a first for me is Abraham Lincoln. And that's just because I happened to see a pack of seeds at the nursery. It's about time to think about ordering seeds if we need to.
Old November 12, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
It's about time to think about ordering seeds if we need to.
Yup, good point/reminder Bobby. In Texas, it's time to place orders with the seed companies for any seed one might need for tomatoes (and peppers) before everyone gets too preoccupied with the holidays since we do need to get started in January. It might also be a good time to get your orders in for any seeds needed for legumes, cucurbits and lettuces as well. I already have some lettuce going in the greenhouse, but we have until January to do so I think.

Having said that, I haven't even begun to make my tomato list (eeek! I'm such a procrastinator), so don't have a firm idea on what any new-to-me varieties next year will be just yet. So it's a good thing I won't need to order seeds because anything "new" will likely come from various seed folks will soon send me, or seeds already in my inventory.

Not new to me, but Indian Stripe is one I definitely think should be on every Texas growers list.
Old January 10, 2012   #3
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

If all goes as planned I'll be starting seeds this weekend (Jan. 15th). Here is what I'm planning to sow. Abraham Lincoln, Annanas Noir, Arkansas Traveler, Black Cherry, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Yellow, Cherry Volunteer, JD C-Tex, Old German, Purple Haze, Roma Rapheal, Souix, Earl's Faux, Livingston Honor Bright and Indian Stripe.
Old January 10, 2012   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I've posted my list elsewhere, but here it is again. FYI, all were started on January 1. As of last night, I moved them under the lights as about 3/4 had sprouted so far and I had to get them under lights to try to prevent spindly seedlings. Most of the seeds on this list are from Tville folks, with the great Suze being the most generous, providing 3 of the following:

Terhune
Earl’s Faux
Brandywine from Croatia
J.D.s Special C Tex
Cowlick Brandywine
Indian Stripe
Goose Creek
Black and Brown Boar
Eva Purple Ball
Purple Haze
Black Cherry
Sungold
Big Beef

BWC, EPB and JD's are new to me this year.

Dewayne Mater
Old January 10, 2012   #5
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Nice list! You should be happy with those
Old January 11, 2012   #6
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

*Mojo resurfaces!*

I posted a few days ago in General about the upcoming HCC Horticulture Club's upcoming sale. Nothing I gave them seedwise was new, but it was a lot of things that I hadn't fooled with before (and neither had Roy and Shelly!) I won't know specifically what I'm planting until next month, when I get the greenhouse report on what sprouted and what didn't.

Still grumbly that my Serendipity and Paw-Paw seeds disappeared...
Old January 12, 2012   #7
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

I might be wrong, but as far as far as I know, Brandywine tomato is originated from North America. It seems strange to me to use seeds comming from another side o Earth because the gardener might have problems with re-aclimatization.

May be a more experienced garder can say if I am wrong or not.
Old January 12, 2012   #8
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Moshou - If you mean Brandywine from Croatia, Raybo grew it out in California last year with tremendous results. Granted, California has an amazing climate for growing most things, but, his results were strong enough that I figured trying them in Texas would be worth a shot. We shall see. ;-)
Old January 12, 2012   #9
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Moshou - If you mean Brandywine from Croatia, Raybo grew it out in California last year with tremendous results. Granted, California has an amazing climate for growing most things, but, his results were strong enough that I figured trying them in Texas would be worth a shot. We shall see. ;-)
Go for it. Let's see what happens. I have had really good luck with Russian tomatoes like Black Krim. Not so much luck with Brandywine. Maybe a Croatian Brandywine will be a winner.
Old January 13, 2012   #10
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Brandywine from Croatia now in Southwest Florida from seeds I obtained from the generous Raybo. It has shown to be a low producer here so far but a very healthy plant. It is not producing as well as my Stump or OTV as of yet!, But if it lives up to most of what I have heard, I will not complain.
Old January 13, 2012   #11
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

My Brandywine Suddath always does well here and my favorite Earl's Faux, is a great producer most every year.
Old February 21, 2012   #12
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Sudduth! hate when my spelling goes South. haha
Old February 29, 2012   #13
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

I'm hoping to get mine in the ground this weekend. 26 plants and some of my fall garden is still in place and needs to be harvested and removed and new amendments added. And I still have to mow the lawn first. My back hurts already.
Old March 1, 2012   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bobby, I'll be starting my planting this weekend too - though it will take me 4-5 days to get everything in. Tomorrow, I'm going to shred leaves for mulch.

Warm spring we've been having. Do I dare to hope there won't be another frost or freeze? Probably not.
Old March 7, 2012   #15
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Chance it! I've got mine in the ground already, as do Roy and Shelly.