Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 19, 2014   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Recs for producing cukes, seedless and not bitter?

We had good success last year with a Korean hybrid but its not producing for us this year. Poor hubby has no pickles going into 2015. So... don't want to make the same mistake twice. Looking for a better breed to grow for next year's garden. Recs?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've been having really good luck for the past few years with Burpfree which was a Burpee variety that's open-pollinated. Grew it next to lots of other varieties and this was the winner hands down. Never been bitter here yet and produces like crazy. Last year I saved seeds and this year they're growing true so send a PM if you'd like to try it next year.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2014   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Armenian cucumber ( actually a melon) is very sweet, never bitter and the skin is tender. Unless you let them get big, they are almost seedless.
I've had some grow 10 pounds when missed on the vine. The meat is still delicious but the seeds are tough like a cantaloupe and the skin is a little tougher. Chickens love them, though.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2014   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Diva is my favorite. Thin skins are also a nice benefit.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2014   #5
JoParrott

General Lee is great for slicing & pickling- has a real old fashioned crunch, and not watery like some of the burpless ones. And Armenian is wonderful-
Old August 20, 2014   #6
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
We had good success last year with a Korean hybrid but its not producing for us this year. Poor hubby has no pickles going into 2015. So... don't want to make the same mistake twice. Looking for a better breed to grow for next year's garden. Recs?
Allowing cucumber plants to get dry can greatly increase the amount of bitterness in the fruit. Since the bitterness tends to concentrate around the stem, I often cut off 1" close to the stem before eating fresh. The bitterness doesn't seem to survive the pickling process.

Any cucumber is "seedless" if picked small enough... I prefer to use Marketmore as picking cucumbers because they produce larger pickles that are still seedless.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2014   #7
troad
Tomatovillian™

Marketmore produced early for me then Spacemaster took over. Neither one was bitter. Constant water is vital.However, I thought the Marketmore was susceptible to being over watered. my only regret was not starting a replacement plant to takeover for late summer picking. Both plants seemed to tire out. Perhaps a late dose of fertilizer may have helped?
Old August 20, 2014   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Oh. For pickling? Armenian cucumbers are very good fresh. I've never done any vinegar pickles but I used my huge ones for fermented Kosher style. I just scooped out the seeds when they got that big and started a big crock with salted water, garlic and spices.
I didn't catch the pickle part. I never had luck with real cucumbers due to high temperatures and alkaline soil. I'm now living in a different state with acidic soil and more moderate summers. Looking forward to growing real pickling cucumbers next spring!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2014   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A normal pickler variety like Boston Pickler is fine, as long as you pick them every day so that they don't get too big. That's the key.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote