Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 19, 2009   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default The word is out!

I think there has been a major shift in people's wants for tomato plants. I had a big sale yesterday and was amazed at how many people who used to grow the "traditional" tomato plants (better boy, celebrity, early girl, etc...) are now wanting to grow these "modern" heirlooms (major oxymoron there!)

Gardeners were very knowledgeable about some varieties and were very hot to trot to get a cherokee purple and very willing to try the other black tomatoes I had as well.
Old April 19, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yup. Though I have to say that in my 12th year of doing this, you do reach an equilibrium at some point and things kind of steady out. We call our customers are "annual friends" - since they are great folks we see once a year!

Exhausted but satisfied here in Raleigh after two busy days!
Old April 19, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My market opened yesterday, but due to a techinal rule violation last year, I can't take my plants til after May 1. So I won't see how things are doing for 2 more weeks.

I'm rather behind on my transplanting anyway. Lots of my plants won't be ready til the middle of May anyway.

But I do have some plants in gallon pots and some hanging baskets that are showing flower buds and I should have a few tiny fruit on those plants when I can go to the market.

I just hope that the Saturday weather for May is as nice as it was yesterday. Last year just about every Saturday up to Memorial day was cold, or windy, or rainy or all 3. Did a lot of talking about varieties but not much selling til late in the season.

Glad to hear that the "odd balls" (to the uninformed) are doing well.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

After several years of curiosity, even the hard-core hybrid growers in my area are beginning the turn around to "those tomatoes with the weird names and strange colors that taste sooo good". A couple of the charity plant sale organizations are asking if I have a few (or a lot) of tomatoes they could sell. Donations could turn into future sales.

A northern Kansas greenhouse and nursery for the third year is selling heirlooms I have grown. People are now asking for them by name. I do get a break-even return there. I will distribute about a hundred plants to friends and family beginning next week. All freebies.

I still can't see myself with a Craig or Huntoften operation, but you never know. What I grow is mostly for myself and the extras are sent to good homes.
Old April 19, 2009   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The specific requests tend to follow whatever must be discussed in gardening magazines, on blogs, etc. My two constants are Sungold and Cherokee Purple. Green Giant is developing quite a following - last year Black Krim sat there, this year it is popular. Big reds (Aker's WV, Andrew Rahart, Cuostralee, Neves) and medium reliable reds (Red BW, Nepal) are constants. Lillian's Yellow has some passionate supporters, but Hugh's less so. Just kind of interesting to see the trends! The most unexplained phenomenon is Mexico Midget - people just NEED that one (so of course this year I had germination problems!). Violence nearly happens between people scrambling for them whenever they are available! (well, a bit of hyperbole there!)
Old April 19, 2009   #6
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I know what you mean! The first variety I ran out of was "Aussie" I listed my tomatoes alphabetically on my flier and almost everyone wanted one of those yesterday. They were HIGHLY disappointed when they found out it was gone, but I talked them into some other varieties, they soon forgot about Aussie.
Old April 19, 2009   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Just for reference when you have more varieties than you can easily remember all the "specs" and make a list, Alpha isn't always the best method.

For me I break down my list first by "type" -- Roma, Cherry or small, Red, Pink or purple - you get the idea. Within the type I make my list by "maturity". Sometimes it makes it harder to find a variety, but the question I'm asked the most it "how early is it" So the higher up the list it is, the earlier it is. I also do my plant racks the same way. A rack (or 2 or 3) for the "type" then the higher up the rack it is, the earlier it is.

That system has worked for me for about 20 years now. You can find a copy of last year's list on my web site if you are interested.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The most unexplained phenomenon is Mexico Midget - people just NEED that one (so of course this year I had germination problems!). Violence nearly happens between people scrambling for them whenever they are available! (well, a bit of hyperbole there!)

Unexplained?

I know you love it and maybe this year you talked it up more than you might usually, and we both know you aren't a shy passive person.

You probably talked it up b'c you knew you didn't have that many plants b'c of germination problems and thus there will be a waiting line for that variety next year.

How I would love to be sitting in a chair at your plant table and talk up this and that with you. What fun that would be.

Carol, it may help you to know that Craig remembers EVERYTHING. He has a photographic memory and more than once I've asked him something like... do you remember the date when Calvin Waite said he picked that first Nepal back in "91 or do you remember what Edmund Brown said he planted next to Nepal in '94, and he'll usually come up with the right answer.

So I exagerate a bit but he does have a photographic memory and knows all there is to know about ALL the varieties he sells, you can trust me on that.

So I don't think he needs a written down schematic to remember what's what at the LeHoullier plants sales.

I think this is about the 20th year that Craig and I have known each other so I've had plaenty of time to test his memory.

BTW way Craig, do you remember where you might have put that folder with info from the Martin family that said Viva Lindsey, the tomato not the woman, was a wedding present.
Old April 22, 2009   #9
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I have had 5 folks (2 couples traveled > an hour to get here!) come as "presales" after seeing my Craig's list posting for May 2 yard sale. One guy was all about the hot peppers but the couples came armed with their tomato lists! A retired couple from MD/DC wanted those Costoluto Genovese & San Marzanos. They left with those, SM Redortas, Scatalones, Black Krims, Tondo Liscios & some Marconi hybrid peppers. The other couple came from 1/2 way to Fayetteville with a HUGE list - many blacks, purples & potato leaves. I didn't have everything sorted as neatly as I would like (plan to have sale in driveway not backyard) so I had a hard time finding my Kellogg's Breakfast sorting through the boxes of labelled cups. They were such good folks (came armed with pics of their straw bale/drip irrigation/permanent trellis tomato setup) that I gave them one of my precious KBXs (oh god, I sound like Golem!) - they knew of it & appreciated it.
Both couples have emailed me to let me know their little plants are doing great & both plan to come back for the May 2 sale (the MD couple for basil & eggplant - they asked if I would grow them some Japanese eggplant next year! & the other folks with lists from friends & family for heirlooms they've read about).
Since the yard sale is rain or shine (& my DF from Raleigh who is coming to help me always brings rain - always) I plan to make some copies of pics/blurbs about the different varieties & waterproof them. I also plan to use duct tape (ah, stuff of the gods) to label the front of boxes of plants as I set up in the driveway.
This should be interesting as I have never done a yard sale ever in 5+ decades of life (hence the "rainmaker" coming down). If the folks who come are like the folks who have already come - this will be a ball!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009   #10
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

You want to talk about traveling??!?!? Last week...unexpectedly, had a person show up in my backyard after I got home from work. She TOOK THE BUS...from the far north end of town to my house...the far south end of town. She wanted "all the yellow pear tomatoes $3 could get"!!! I let her use the restroom and sent her home with three yellow pear and a super snow white as a gift for the most dedicated traveler I've had. The KC bus system is lacking to say the least when compared to major city buses. I'd say she had a minimum 3 hour round trip to get those plants. I almost just gave them to her for free!
Old April 23, 2009   #11
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

you are a good person huntoften. I know she will take great care of & really enjoy those plants. Riding those buses & transferring can be a... well, you know. It always surprises me when I hear urban planners natter about public transport & appear so gosh-darned-diddly surprised when folks don't use it more. I grew up taking buses all over DC but when I moved to Seattle & used the bus for work - had to give an extra 1+ hour each way (20 minute drive in private vehicle). Hats off to the lady! And hats off to you for your kindness.
Old April 23, 2009   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I took my friend some plants this morning. We went for breakfast and exchanged some perennials, plus I grew her out some banana peppers and 2 big Better Boys.
I sent her dad an Earl's Faux as he loves the pink heirlooms.
She made the comment that the Earl's Faux was just as big and healthy in it's 20 oz cup as her Better Boys in the gallon container. I agreed and told her it will taste 10x better than her tomatoes, too LoL
We have glorious weather for this weekend. I plan to work up the tomato patch and plant some flowers. Hooray!
Old April 24, 2009   #13
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I have had a very exhausting but rewarding plant sales this year. I have nearly sold out of almost 10,000 plants of 96 varieties. At the Midlands Plant and flower show at the state farmers market in columbia I sold 3/4 of my inventory in 4 days. I had to cancel going to Florence SC last weekend. And for my wholesale customers salea have been double and I have had to turn away customers because of no plants. As Always the blacks are big sellers and ironically I sold out of all yellows bi colors and oranges this year. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2009   #14
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Holy mole rodger! Thassa lotta tomatoes! I'm out in the yard encouraging the "late arrivals" to grow like the dickens this week so they can get new homes!
Old April 24, 2009   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Good going, Rodger! I am getting similarly (and delightfully) slammed. I don't know if any variety is just sitting there (well, Green Grape is just not one that seems to get very much initial or repeat interest). Today starts weekend trip 2 to the market and I am thinking that next weekend will be it. This is my 12th year doing this and this year is absolutely nothing like previous years.