Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 19, 2010   #1
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

Default the season started lush ... and cold

still nice and cosy in my repurposed pigeonhouse, but in the meantime the went out ... in the bloody cold, man is it still cold around here. They had to go out though since the where growing like mad in their "little" newspaper pots (7x12 cm) and my agenda has too little empty spots the weeks to come ;-)

you see, you cannot only sow dense, you can even grow them dense for quite some time ;-)

holyland, ashleigh, summer cider, kalman hungarian pink, Earl Faux, crven, purple prudence, hawaiian orange cherry, rose quartz, cabin, tigrovy, druzba, bloody butcher, rufus carrigan mex, saljut, purple passion, brandyboy, caspian pink, besser, abraham lincoln, debarro black, hawaiian yellow cherry, stump of the world, marmande jaune, clear pink, merveille de marché, mortgage lifter, blushing yellow, kentucky beefsteak, blue berry, norhtern lights, aunt ginny purple, black cherry, marizol purple, jaune flammée, black brandywine, hawaiian white cherry, american wonder, black seaman, azoychka, black krim made it all to the greenhouse but are not moving a lot. Who can blame them with the abnormal temps still around 5° at night and 15-20° during the day (unheated greenhouse will gain a few degrees but still)

Lets hope they do well when the temperatures rise.
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #2
graceshine
Tomatovillian™

Wow, beautiful and healthy plants!
graceshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

They are lookin' happy! We are growing 11 of the same varieties this year and mine were kept fairly cold in their early growth and planted out way too early. The ones that lived through the frost are looking amazingly robust, and are flowering like crazy. We are getting some much warmer weather in the next week, so I'm hoping they really take off!
Hope you can plant out soon.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #4
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Very nice but you didn't get rid of the pigeons did you? I miss my pigeons. I was working so much I didn't have time to take care of them.
Old May 20, 2010   #5
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

thx, they grew a bit taller than usual but they always go halfway in the ground anyway, which they did last friday.
First year I used the pigeonhouse, the previous owner of our house had birds but they were long gone when we bought the house. Everybody I know suggested to take the pigeonhouse down but I'm glad I didn't, it's an excellent nursery for the middle part of the season. I can give them a little heat when nights are still cold, although 3m in the air, they shouldn't get 'ground freezing' ;-)

but I'm planning to keep some of the other "birds", that were housing there, in return for their guano and insect removal skills ;-)

the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote