Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2018   #1
robinatsia
Tomatovillian™

Default Days to maturity

I have to say that I am a bit confused regarding the term DTM.
For example, the Russian 'Pokoritel severa F1' by description has from germination to technical ripeness only 78...87 days and the Estonian 'Terma' - 90...95. How does this translate into DTM, which, if I am correct, means days to maturity from transplanting? For 'Black Cherry', the DTM is 65 or somewhat more - as I have read. Is there any standard or something, on which the DTM is calculated?
In general, we transplant 6...8 six weeks old plants here in Estonia; in case of early varieties it means that the very first flowers are about to open or already just opened.
robinatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes, DTM means Days To Maturity. What I have seen is that DTM is more of an educated guess depending on where and how you garden. 55-70 DTM is an earlier producer. A lot of cherry tomatoes fit in this range. I looked up the yearly weather data for Estonia and it says that "The average temperature in July, which is considered the warmest month of the year, is 16.4 °C (61.5 °F)." https://www.google.com/search?ei=zuK....0.YSo521FkwF4

Do you grow in a hothouse/greenhouse or something like that?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

As far as I know, DTM are days calculated from the opening of the flower (pollination) to the maturity of the fruit. This is the indicative data used to compare varieties.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #4
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

DTM varies relative to local conditions, and usually is calculated from final transplant to first mature fruit. (Some calculate DTM from germination. I sow 2 months before final transplant, so DTM from germination would be about 8 weeks longer.) DTM is useful only as an indication of whether you can expect a variety to be early, mid or late season. I try to find reports of DTM from growers who have similar conditions to mine, either growing in a greenhouse or a decidedly cool outdoor summer. I've seen reports of Indian Stripe having a dtm of 80 days. Last year Indian Stripe Potato Leaf matured after 55 days in my greenhouse, so you won't know for sure until you've grown it yourself.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I don't think that DTM has a firm technical definition.

It seems to be generally accepted as the number of days from transplant to bearing the first mature fruit but is more helpful as a comparison between varieties. In other words it gives an idea of which ones produce earlier than others rather than a firm date as to when to expect a harvest.

Last year I transplanted my 6-8 week old Sun Sugar seedlings outside and picked my first 2 tomatoes 56 days later. Sun Sugar has a DTM of 62 days so this was pretty close.

I basically use DTM as a guideline not a firm date to expect tomatoes.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Personally I prefer to use days from germination to ripe fruit instead of DTM. I usually plant at 6 to 8 weeks as well.

The DTM concept does have some merit though, as I discovered last year when the weather turned nasty and I had to hold my seedlings another two weeks before planting. Where transplant = the resources for the plant to grow big enough, you may as well count from that date, if planting off schedule. That is a solid bet for most varieties.

I also think it may have started as a marketing idea. DTM's are slapped onto seedlings for sale, then the buyer knows what to expect from transplant time.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I agree with bower. A germination time is the best starting point of counting to ripe fruit. We've been never using DTM counting method here neigher in Soviet Union time nor in present days.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 21, 2018 at 02:40 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are not a crop that is direct seeded here but the majority of my veggies are direct seeded so the DTM is useful for them.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In the US DTM means from tranplant ( seedling of about 8 inch tall).
To me it is a rough ball park number. The same variety in different growing conditions/climate may have baried DTM. In cool PNW for emple it will take much longer than in the south like Alabama
From Seed to Ripe Fruit add about 45 days. So if a variety os listed as with DTM =75 , it will take about 120 days from sowing seeds.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

An adult plant is the one that begins to blossom. It does not matter its height. That's why DTM counts from that moment.
During a short day, the pre-growing of the seedlings (without illumination) is significantly longer than 45 days.
Vladimír
It does not matter if the pre-cultivation is added or subtracted. I'm satisfied with the system that uses Tania: Early - midseason - late.

Last edited by MrBig46; March 22, 2018 at 03:06 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote