Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 20, 2023   #1
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Ivan, hard neck garlic

Finished up with the garden for this year by planting Ivan hard neck garlic and mulching it with straw. I never grew Ivan before but I like the taste and the size of the bulbs. I got a pretty decent deal from a Amish farmer in Ohio. I ended up planting 258 cloves of this variety. I plan on making garlic powder with some of it and using it in my pasta sauce I can every year. Ivan has about 7 to 8 cloves per jumbo sized bulb and fewer on smaller sizes it seemed. Im hoping for 10 months of storage from this variety, but we will see. From what I understand this variety has some nice scapes it produces, so im looking forward to using them in some of my cooking and maybe pickling some as well.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2024   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if this garlic is from the breeding work of Dr Ivan Buddenhagen who work on true seed garlic

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2024   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I would love to have some Ivan Hard Neck Garlic too, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Dr Ivan

Dr Ivan was able to propagate seed from 30 different types of garlic. I can't seem to find out what the types were.

The Amish farmer where I purchased the Ivan garlic from described it as the following.

IVAN - A Canadian variety, and our favorite porcelain hardneck type. Ivan is comparable to Music in many ways. A heavy producer, very easy to grow, sturdy, disease-resistant, and a hardy garlic that likes cold weather. Ivan has very large bulbs (slightly larger than Music) with 4 to 6 very easy-to-peel cloves. When eaten raw, it is a little spicier than Music. When cooked/roasted Ivan offers a lasting garlic flavor with a hint of sweetness. A classic that excels in any recipe. Keeps exceptionally well after harvest.

I also seen it described as a Canadian heirloom.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote