Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 14, 2008   #1
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Diva Plant?

I got the recomendation on here from someone about growing Diva Cucumbers last year and ordered Diva, Cool Breezes, and Sweet Success from Jungs. The sweet success seems like a normal size vine, but no one warned me that one Diva would be so out of control. I will plant it again but next time I know to give it four feet on either side!

This one plant has grown up and out and over and is now hanging off two shepards hooks besides the lattice, gone over the lattice and is running on the ground under the carport, and is moving forward on the ground as well hehehe!

Is this normal for Diva or do I just have one monster plant? this is not planted in anything special, in fact it was started in peat in a concrete block hole! I think the only fertilizer i managed in this one was watering with alfalfa tea and maybe it got foliar fed twice with compost tea....too big now to even try to get it all fed foliarly!

The farthest vine to the left is Sweet Success, to the right green beans, Sweet Success and the one clump of beans are similar in size, the monster in the middle is Diva!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 031.jpg (833.3 KB, 34 views)
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #2
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Normal spacing for any cucumber is 6' between rows, except for a few "bush" varieties. Apparently, your fertilizing has been very effective.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #3
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Six feet or six inches? I never had a cucumber that grew four feet wide by four feet tall... 8 to ten feet tall but not wide! is this not normal? This thing is four feet wide by the lattice, intermingled with two other cukes, gone over the lattice all teh way to the ground and back up and over again and running across the ground into the beans, etc.... I have noticed that the parts inside the carport have turned yellow, but I have no idea if that is due to lack of water or lack of sun! I just know my sweet success stoppped producing and somewhere under that monster there is a c ool breezes ;( I transplanted a dive to its own row in the heat of teh summer after sprouting and growing under all that diva mess but so far it just wilts in the heat of the day! If this is not normal for Diva tell me! if this is normal for dive no one need ever plant more than one seed per year because this thing is slowly taking over all my other cukes, planted 8 inches apart, and my beans next to it!

fertilizer is not something special promise! I wanted something to grow when I moved here, this diva is growing out of one half of a regular concrete block, most of its dirt was peat moss, it did nothing for two months, nothing at all! then it started vining and has not stopped! i got the first cuke when it was at four feet.....i got maybe six more ready in a few days which is weeks after the first....the only thing I did different this year was alfalfa tea.....the silly thing should not have grown in all peat anyway so I am at a loss! The cuckes are not as spectaculuar tasting as a friends are or the recomendations are, they are very wimpy actually and need something to make them good like vinegar water , or salt and pepper......what did I do right or wrong?

Carolyn needs to write a book on cucumbers!~
Hugs
kelley
Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote