Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 29, 2008   #1
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Default A few pics of my squash and a Question.

My squash is growing so fast in the kiddie pool,It seems to get bigger overnight sometimes.But i only know that it is summer squash but i have no idea what variety.I am wondering how i will know when to harvest it if i Don't know what variety it is.

I have 2 pics,the squash pictured is about the size of a baseball and round like one too,as you can see.

.................................................. ..................................

And one more thing please,I just planted 6 onion plants i bought today.In the book i was reading it says to keep the tops of the onion plant trimmed to 4 inches to keep it"Stalky"I did because most of it was broken anyway from being handled roughly at the green house.I try not to trust everything i read so i would like to hear what people here do with their onions.

Thanks
Jason.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have seen what you're talking about with the onions but most of the time I've read it's best not to give them a haircut, so I never have.

Your zucchini there could be OP or it could be a hybrid. The OP version is called Round of Parma (similar to Round of Nice, which is a pale green color, lighter than yours) or could be the hybrid Eight Ball. Either way, I think they're best picked around baseball size and no larger. If you get a lot of rain, they can double in size overnight, as you said. It's not your imagination. Enjoy your garden!
Old June 29, 2008   #3
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have seen what you're talking about with the onions but most of the time I've read it's best not to give them a haircut, so I never have.
Great,I'm glad i asked!Thanks.

Quote:
Your zucchini there could be OP or it could be a hybrid. The OP version is called Round of Parma (similar to Round of Nice, which is a pale green color, lighter than yours) or could be the hybrid Eight Ball. Either way, I think they're best picked around baseball size and no larger. If you get a lot of rain, they can double in size overnight, as you said. It's not your imagination
Zucchini?It was sond to me as summer squash.

I had a feeling it was a round variety,It just looks to me as it will not elongate ate the size it is now,But what do i know...That's why I'm here!

Quote:
Enjoy your garden!
It's more fun than i ever would have imagined,Thankfully i am impulsive and bought a couple Tomato plants a while back.Now my yard is full of vegetables.
Old June 29, 2008   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini is a type of summer squash, as opposed to winter squash or a pumpkin. There are all shades of green and yellow and white and many shapes. Lots to try so have some fun if you have the room. This year I'm growing Round of Parma and Golden Bush Scallop (my favorite).
Old June 29, 2008   #5
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Ok,I see now.Thanks,I might just go get one to try right now.

Jason.