Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 28, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone have luck with seedless watermelons?

I had purchased Orchid Seet Hybrid and Red Ice last year from Territorial Seed but ran out of room, (too many Ambrosia cantaloupe) to plant so I'll try it this year. Orchid is yellow and Red Ice is....well, red.

Any tricks to growing them?

How far away is o.k. from other melons? Mine will be across the yard about 100+'.

Friends have told me the taste doesn't compare to seeded ones. Any thoughts?

They gave the pollinator seed and suggest one pollinator plant to three seedless plants.

I usually throw two or three seeds in a hole and watch 'em go. I'm going to throw two seeds and the pollinator together.

Remember I'm new at this but, Will the pollinator seed/plant produce seedless fruit? The instructions mention seedles plants but nothing about what the pollinator seed will do.

Thanks from a seedless newbie,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #2
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Greg,

100 feet should be fine. The pollinator will produce it's normal (seeded) fruit. Unless you pull it out after the seedless ones set fruit. The polliator should be a different color fruit for easy identification. If your seedless variety is green striped, your pollinator should be a blue or black rind variety.
I'm sure you'll have no problems.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #3
CLa
Tomatovillian™

I planted some of this orange sunshine last year. I did not know which was the pollinator at the time but I guessed it was the smaller seed. Anyway, I spaced the seeds about 10 feet apart planted them in 4 mounds and they did ok, but I had problems with the weeds. They were good, and produced nicely, I gave a few away and we ate quite a bit.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote