Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old September 16, 2015   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall cucumbers

I just set out about a dozen cucumber plants that I started in my greenhouse a few weeks ago. I set some out last fall and they did great but every other year the whiteflies have been a real problem along with mites. I'm hoping to start some lettuce this week and get it out in the next few weeks. It would be really nice to once again have lettuce, tomatoes and fresh cucumbers for a great salad even if it will only be for a short time.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Good luck with that Bill! I've not been able to get those three timed to harvest concurrently in my garden. Cool weather comes on too fast to get a second set of cukes going.....
However, the Big Beefs are still producing and the lettuce is looking decent.... so 2 out of 3?

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #3
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Fall is the only time I can get all three at the same time. It is just too hot here to grow lettuce with cucumbers in the spring or summer. I have little lettuce already planted out even though it is still hot but am my main crop next week.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is still way too hot for lettuce but I am going to start some in my greenhouse this week. I have a tiny air conditioner in the greenhouse and it keeps the temps a little lower so maybe I can get some good sized lettuce seedlings going in time for the first cooler weather.

I noticed the whiteflies are starting to get bad so I am going to spray my tomatoes, cucumbers and beans with DE and see if it will work on them to keep them at a minimum.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote