Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 20, 2015   #1
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse Orientation

Hi,
I bought a small 6'x8' greenhouse this winter and have yet to set it up. Actually it isn't likely to be set up for at least a few weeks until the snow melts.

Anyway, I have heard differing opinions on whether to set it up N-S or E-W. From what I can tell at my latitude, setting it up E-W may allow for more heat absorption in the middle of the day. But plants may grow better N-S.

Any advice?
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

At that size, I don't think it's going to matter at all. I would orient it with whatever prevailing breeze you typically have, so that you can open windows or doors on opposing sides and have the breeze blow through.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

just about every commercial and any other green house I see where I live is set up east west.

Yours is practically square but I would still go east west.

I dont even know if it matters because I see some them set up the other way too and they seem to do fine also.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #4
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I was reading a publication put out by the University Of Wyoming and they said east to west. We get tremendous winds here.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mine are east to west. That orientation gets more sun. My winds are also usually west to east though. I have read that in more northern climates where the winds tend to be North-South, high tunnels tend to be oriented that way. But keep in mind commercial tunnels can often be 300' long. It's a lot easier to vent by opening doors at either end than having to deal with roll-up sides. My sides do roll up, but I only have to roll them up on the hottest days, especially those with little wind.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have them both directions. The n/s one heats up faster than the E/W ones do.
Old February 21, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I have them both directions. The n/s one heats up faster than the E/W ones do.

That would make since because there are more panels thus more surface area facing the sun when it comes up.

The best thing would have the green house track the sun on a big rotisserie .
Worth
Old February 21, 2015   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
At that size, I don't think it's going to matter at all. I would orient it with whatever prevailing breeze you typically have, so that you can open windows or doors on opposing sides and have the breeze blow through.
I agree with Cole Robbie. Getting rid of excess heat when the sun is shining is a bigger concern.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #9
joseph
Tomatovillian™

The one mistake I made with orienting my greenhouse, is that I should have put the door on the sun-ward facing wall in order to melt/sublime the winter snow/frost more effectively. Sometimes when I try to go in after dark the door is frozen shut because it is facing north.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

It is not sunshiny here, today. the temperature started out at 15*f and is now 23. My two houses that are unheated right now are 48* and 69* the (48*f...20x48 runs n/s and the 69*...16x32 runs e/w). both of these are poly tunnels with a blower fan for inflation. No heater at all right now.
Old February 22, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hang a live toad up by its left hind leg with a cotton string in the house during a waxing moon.(It has to be cotton).
When the toad stops spinning and stays still what ever direction the right front leg is pointing is the direction you want the door side to be.

Worth
Old February 22, 2015   #12
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. E-W orientation it will be, with the door on the west end ... whenever the snow actually melts enough to set it up.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote