Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 6, 2015   #1
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross Country Sun Garden greenhouse--opinions?

We're tired of putting our temporary 8x8' greenhouse up and taking it down every year and are considering the Cross Country Sun Garden as a more permanent solution. We like its size (no more space available) and it's advertised as strong enough to take snow load and some wind.

Does anyone have personal experience with this particular greenhouse? If so, would you recommend it? Anything we should know or plan to work around?

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/...ed-greenhouses

wow, 3 grand is a lot of money. My 18x48 high tunnel cost less than that.

If you can build your own structure, you will end up with more space for less money.

My high tunnel did get smashed by a winter storm, but we had about 8-10" of sleet that accumulated as a sheet of ice. The greenhouse you're considering is rated for 30 lb/sq ft of snow load, which is about two feet of snow or six inches of ice. So really big storms will still smash structures that are supposed to shed snow. My high tunnel looked like it was destroyed, but it just took a few days of work and about $30 of materials to put it back together.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Cole. I'm not excited about the spending that kind of money either (although it is available direct from the manufacturer for somewhat less), but feel obligated to provide a somewhat stylish solution for the neighbors since they'll be looking at it year round instead of just a couple months in the spring. Believe me, I'd love space for a big high tunnel and the garden space to go with it! Unfortunately, we're in a small lot in the city. We don't have any more space we could use and figure something prefab might help fit neighbors' expectations. Our temporary, plastic-covered one (8x8) has held up to a foot or more of snow in the past, even without sloping sides, but the replacement covers are no longer available and the second cover hit its UV-limit last year and started to leak when the structure was full of tomato seedlings. (Thanks for translating the snow-load numbers.) So, we're mostly wondering whether anyone here has personal experience dealing with this manufacturer and model.
Old February 7, 2015   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Can't speak from experience, but that is a pretty classy looking structure, and the polycarbonate skin should hold up real nice, and transmit light really well, to boot. Looks like a nice structure, to me. Wish I had one.
Old February 7, 2015   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice! I have a twin wall poly carb Rion Green Giant. I really like it, perhaps you may wish to compare features. I really like the high 8' center. allows me to hang baskets. holds heat well in cold weather.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It certainly looks worthy of having a concrete slab poured for it to sit on. That would give it a sturdy foundation and easy place to anchor it against wind. My first greenhouse was a Clearspan kit. There was a lot of fine print about "for strongest anchoring against wind, consider these options..." For something as nice as what you're buying, you don't want to skimp on the anchoring.

I would also want another door to prop open in the back, or a big window, so that the wind can blow through to vent it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #7
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestions and more things to think about before taking the plunge. I'm happy to hear the favorable impressions of the polycarbonate skin and its heat-holding ability. With our relatively mild winter (so far) in Minneapolis, I keep wishing I was overwintering some lettuce outside in a structure for early spring greens.

Karen, thanks for letting me know what brand and model you have and that you like it.

Cole, good thoughts on the base. We build a raised brick structure with treated wood sides a few years back to serve as a base (and heat sync) for our temporary greenhouse. It was supposed to double as a patio during the summer months, but it occurred to us that since we never sit down during the summer anyway (well, maybe 10 minutes on the deck) that we might save energy (and backs) by using it for greenhouse floor alone. Good thoughts on the extra ventilation--easy to forget about that this time of year!