Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 25, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Climbing-Trellising Squash Ideas Welcomed

A few years back, I read about trellising cucumbers to save garden space. I liked the idea and tried it out. Now, I won't grow cucumbers any other way. But that isn't squash.

I would like to buy some squash seed that I can trellis as well. Online, using "Climbing" or "Trellising" Squash does not lead to a lot of results. So, I thought I would ask you all for your ideas on varieties of squash that will grow on a trellis/fence.

Here is what I think I want (You might change my mind?) :

>The varieties can be summer or winter Squash.
>The families/households I grow squash for are - three with 4 people, two with 2 people, and one with 1 person - so no need for huge squash. The typical yellow or zucchini squash size is perfect. Smaller would be nice as well.
>Disease and squash bug/borer tolerant would be great.
>Any color or shape.
>I personally, like varieties of any vegetable that pre-dates 1950 - the-older-the-better.

I plan on growing a 40' row of bush type squash too. Yellow Crookneck (Pre-Columbus) and White Scallop (Pre-1600s) squash. But all those I grow for love the zucchini squash too...maybe one to grow on the trellis if there is a zucchini that grows vines instead of a bush?

A lot of things to think about, and that's why I'm asking way ahead of time. Any and all ideas/thoughts are very appreciated.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #2
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

I grew normal non-vining zucchinis vertically this year. Plant the seed or seedling next to a strong stake and be diligent at tying one single growth stem to the post regularly.

It worked really well. When I got too busy to tie regularly I just let them grow normally from that point and had another month or two of more chaotic production.

It's definitely worth trying. Although I am reverting back now to no stake and less plants in the zucchini bed.

Carl
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #3
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

We grew Tromboncino this past summer. The squash were firmer than zucchini, but we liked them a lot. Squash bugs were much less of a problem, too. The vines quickly climbed to the top of an 8' tall wire panel. I plan to regrow them next summer.

Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tromboncino.jpg (322.8 KB, 208 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #4
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Luffa and several other gourds produce an edible fruit when small.
I haven't tried them, but I'm definitely trellising my gourds this year.
This time of year is good to harvest bamboo. Last year I used the bushy 6-8' tops stuck in the ground just when the cukes were seedlings. They grew and produced well, but did eventually succumb to a blight of some sort.

JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I grow vining crops on cattle panels trellis, including squash. I'll throw out my observations/practices with the hope you find a couple useful tidbits. I'd recommend a rigid setup for squash, but it sounds like you have that already built for your cukes.

I've stopped growing winter squash and focus on cucumbers and vining summer squash since we can purchase high quality local winter squash at fairly reasonable prices.

In the past, we grew Butternuts vertically, they climb well and the squash just grew strong stems to support them without any assistance. I also grew the above mentioned Tromboncino--we picked them shortly after flowering as a summer squash and liked them for that purpose, but they are fairly stingy in production. They are a butternut type, so they will fully mature like a butternut. We let one do that, but in a side-by-side preferred the butternut as a winter squash to the Tromboncino. A plus for Tromboncino was it did not suffer problems of SVB.

For summer squash now I do a couple bushes, but also grow Tatume as a summer squash (pick just after flowering at about baseball size) and it climbs well. Tatume hasn't had problems with bugs. We also grow Lemon squash for summer squash, these really don't climb, as much as they produce a single main vine-type stalk that can be tied up/supported as it grows. We like the production and flavor. 2015 will actually be my F1 grow out of a TatumeXLemon cross I did in 2014. I'm hoping for the plant vigor and vining habit of the Tatume, but maybe get a bit of increased production and yellow color from the Lemon squash--that and it is seems like a fun project. As you've noted there isn't a lot out there as breeding efforts have nearly exclusively focused on bush habit--which is great for large growers, but for smaller setups, the vertical approach is nice because so much less room is required.

In the past we grew Table Dainty as a summer squash, it climbed well and when also picked young made a good summer squash. The plants are not as vigorous as Tatume. We liked Tatume and Lemon better, so have focused on those two.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; December 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I stopped to check in (A busy day) I'll reply a lot better later today.

My wife asked me to ask you all if you've ever grown these two varieties:

Delicata
Lakota
Old December 26, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I have been diligently looking for a squash/gourd that I want you to try.

My sister in law years ago got the seeds from someone and they named it the baseball bat squash.
these4 vines were grown up close to where you live just north of Lampasas Texas.
They did great.
You can eat just about any bottle gourd when they are still small.

I think this is the one.
It goes by many different names including cucuzza and cucuzzi.

http://www.growitalian.com/cucuzzi-z...ent-of-sicily/
And this link to get you an the way to eating edible gourds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPH-FWcvho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpoVRsJ_izY

Last edited by Worth1; December 26, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We are having problems with our internet today - so hopefully this works. What I have grown cucumbers on is 2x4 field fence with T-posts every 5 foot. That is what I am planning to build for vining squash.

I like how small the Lemon squash are. There are a bunch of positive comments about it at Bakers Creek. I haven't been able to look up any of the others mentioned yet - due to the internet problem. The past 4 years, we have grown yellow straight neck and Zucchini. We are wanting to try different varieties.

We have problems with squash bugs every year, and two years ago there were squash vine borers. I need to find a way to combat them both.

I was able to click on Worth's links. Looks good
Old December 26, 2014   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I grew Delicata for the first time last summer. I'd forgotten about it and it decided to grow up a tomato trellis. I didn't know what it was at first or when to pick it. It looked like it might be an elongated watermelon hanging there because of the stripes. It was late to produce, and it wasn't as productive as green or yellow zucchini. Some rotted due to my inexperience in harvesting. It had a milder flavor than the traditional zuchs. This thread persuaded me to give it another try, but I wouldn't rush out to order seeds otherwise. It didn't get hit with the squash bug that took everything else out, so a positive there.

Visited many "urban" Sioux homes and reservations. I've never seen Lakota growing in any garden, go figure. Looks pretty though.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #10
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've also had good luck with Tromboncino. It is SVB resistant and in addition to the summer squash use I let several go to maturity and found them pretty good as winter squash (but not my favorite there by any means). Very impressive fruits!

I really do like Delicatas but my SVB problems make them hit or miss.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2014   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We are going to grow Lemon squash and Seminole pumpkins on one fence. Cucuzzi on another fence. I need to find where to buy Cucuzzi seeds.
Old December 27, 2014   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I do enjoy the lemon squash, just be prepared to tie them to the support as they grow. They don't climb my cattle panels. One reason I'm going to select for the Tatume vining habit in my cross with Lemon.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2014   #13
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

There was a thread bout this last year - so maybe there is something useful in it for you: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...=vining+squash

I have a teeny tiny growing space so I absolutely need to trellis everything upwards. Last year I attempted to grow Tatume and Light Green Korean and Gialla Nostrale . Unfortunately Light Green Korean never made it to adulthood and I only managed to get two veggies from Tatume and Gialla Nostrale before they succumbed to the dreaded vine borer. (My cukes also did terrible in 2014 so I don'tk now if there was some correlation...) I was most disappointed in the Tatume which I had read to be vine borer resistant. I guess its a misunderstanding. If left to sprawl on the ground, the nodes will root the plant so if the vine borer hits in one place all is not lost. When I trellis it upwards, the nodes obviously cannot root itself so that benefit is lost.

I've read that in my area, vine borer come out in June, so maybe if I waited past that to plant out? The other thing I've read is to affix some metal at the base of the plant so the vine borer won't make its way upwards.

If you would like to try Gialla Nostrale, I can send you some seeds... its a very hard type to come by and I had help from nice pple on here.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Luigiwu, the Gialla Nostrale look really good in the pictures.

Today, I finally got away from the house for the first time in two weeks. We had to help get our youngest son's truck towed out to our house. While waiting, we went to Walmart and they had their seeds out. I was like a child in a candy shop!

I got:

Early White Bush Scallop
Waltham Butternut
Table Queen Acorn
Early Yellow Straightneck
Dark Green Zucchini

Tomorrow, I have an outpatient surgery (Nothing big) and then we are going to go to a few more places that sell seed. One place (TSC) sells Burpee seed, so I expect to find at least some hybrids to check out.
Old January 14, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I first thought you said eggplant surgery.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote