Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old May 8, 2014   #1
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Default Building an outdoor garden to protect from wind

I have high winds out here in Victorville ,Ca. I have plenty of open land. I have a spot next to my shed that I could build a outdoor garden using the 15 foot back of the shed as the back wall. This area gets full sun for most of the day. So I have dug down about 3 feet and will put up a 24 inch wood barrier around it at ground level .
The winds are 25 miles an hour off and on so the question is if I have about 4 feet of wood above ground level ,will that work to protect them?
I can plant the corn, carrots, eggplant about a foot under ground level. giving me a bout 5 feet of barrier.
The sun will still hit this spot for a good 6 hours at least all summer.
I have used preen and will also put weed blocker sheets and gravel on the bottom,bringing in soil from nursery area around 15 feet by 15 feet.
I have 200 hundred square feet of dirt field at a lower level but this seems like the best spot.
Any advice on this I would appreciate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140508_004 pic 3 new.jpg (396.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140508_002 new.jpg (366.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140508_005 new.jpg (330.9 KB, 90 views)
mick5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Dug down 3' and circled it with two feet of wooden boards. You must be in a desert area? With sandy base and very fast drainage? Up here with a clay base that would be a pond/ swimming pool in a good rain.
I will defer to those folks here who are most familiar with your area and conditions. A thick hedge would make a good windbreak but also would shade parts of the garden which can be a good thing depending. You have a great property, hope your new garden is fantastic
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014   #3
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

That chain link fence would make a good windbreak if you put some lath in it. A wind break doesn't have to be solid.

You are going to lose some early and late sun if you plant in a hole. Six hours is already a bit short.

I built a wind break with 1/2 inch hardware cloth on a wood frame in one of my garden locations. It lets light through and cuts back the wind a little. Two layers, one on each side of the frame would be more effective.

In another location I mounted 4 x 8 redwood lath units on t-posts. I added a few container pepper trees to the mix.

Zeuspaul
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote