Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 21, 2013   #1
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Default And what about okra?

Okra? Okay. So, I'm told this veggie grows really well where I am. I'm all, "Cool! I've never grown okra and I think I've had some deep fried bits that were good..." (Like, doesn't everything covered in crumbs and then deep fried always taste good?) Yeah, that's about the extent of my okra experience, though, I may have noticed something gooey in gumbo once. That wouldn't be okra, would it? Whatever. They have beautiful flowers so I'm going to grow okra. That's settled...NO IT'S NOT SETTLED! There are "varieties"!

Anyone have any suggestions of what variety of okra I should try growing? Very hot and humid, it is. I guess I could grow this in the ground (weird, I know, I'm almost a strictly container grower.) But if there are varieties that are good and not 10' tall (not kidding...I've been reading descriptions) that might be better (in case I stick these in a container.)

I eagerly await all suggestions!

FreyaFL
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well, like you could grow Louisiana green velvet or maybe Clemson spineless.

But I would never bother growing them like in totally weird containers as many do here.
You Know.

Your choice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Just remember, pick the okra young and tender. I personally love okra, but back in my teens it was the only veggie I didn't like. In fact back then I hated it. Part of the reason was I didn't realize how important it was to pick it young and tender. Part of the reason was I didn't know how to cook it. I personally don't notice much difference in flavor between varieties. So pick one or two and good luck!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #4
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Okra might well be the the most root knot nematode (RKN) susceptible vegetable you could grow in our Florida sand. It does well here in the heat of summer but so do the RKNs. If I ever grow okra again it will be in containers and I grow almost everything else in the ground. As far as suggestions go the University of Florida IFAS at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021 suggests Clemson Spineless, Emerald, Annie Oakley II and Cajun Delight.
Old February 22, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Cowhorn is a very good variety down here and it is larger when still very young than many others. If you water it well and give it plenty of fertilizer you will have more okra than you can shake a stick at. I plant mine at least 18 inches apart so that it has plenty of room to grow both up and out.

One thing that will really mess up okra is nematodes. If you have them in your soil it is best to put down some sugar before you plant and water it in. I also like to plant marigolds between the plants.

A little tip on okra picking. If you aren't sure if it is too old to put in your basket when picking just lightly press your fingernail into it. If it penetrates easily then it is usually still young and tender enough to eat. If the skin of the okra gives without breaking then it is best to just cut that one off and drop it on the ground. During rainy weather it can need picking every day and as the plants get larger with more stems it can produce a whole lot of okra every day or two.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #6
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Tip of the day! Round-up seems to work very well on all varieties of okra and equally as
well on rhubarb.

Thank me later.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #7
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all!
Jerry, yeah, RKNs are one of the reasons I started container gardening here. That and forgetting to water randomly (so, Worth, all my containers except for the herbs are SIPs of one sort or another. Imo, totally not weird. To some. But maybe to others. Yeah. That.)

Redbaron, good idea to try more than one variety. You'd think being here in TV, I'd have thought of that. But...nope. Didn't. Sigh.

B54red, what does the sugar do? I've never heard of this. (And, thanks for the picking tip!)

Alpinejs, Roundup...are you saying okra is a WEED? I LOVE edible weeds! I look at all the non-edible weeds growing in my yard and garden and just sigh at the waste of all that excellent growth. (It will probably turn out that okra IS a weed and I don't like it. Wouldn't that be my luck? LOL)
Old February 22, 2013   #8
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

FreyaFL - As I was out puttering about in the garden this morning I began thinking more about your post and wondered if perhaps you were looking for something good to eat that will do well in our poor soil and summer heat. If that's the case and you're not familiar with them, I suggest you try field/cow peas. We love them! I grew up in Arkansas where they were a staple of our diet but my wife's from New York and she had never eaten them until I grew some. Just be sure and choose an RKN non-host variety like Mississippi Purple and/or Zipper Cream. They produce in summer heat, do well in poor soil, are very tasty when shelled and simmered in bacon fat, and they are excellent as cover crops even if you don't eat the peas.
Old February 22, 2013   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Fried okra is great, don't get me wrong, but there are other ways that are also quite yummy and avoid that slimy texture that some people don't like.

My fav is to grill them until they are cooked through and a little bit charred on the outside. You can marinate them with your favorite grilling sauce or just sprinkle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, doesn't matter.

My son loves them just raw, either cut up in a salad or dipped in ranch.

Throw them in a soup or stew. If you really hate the texture of boiled okra, you may want to pan fry or grill them first.

They are also fantastic pickled, but that does take a nice sized batch and a little time and effort.

I've grown Clemson spineless and Silver Queen with some success, but people in your area should be able to tell you which varieties are most likely to survive there.

Don't spray them with Round up! Alpinejs is just jealous of those of us with more refined taste buds!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #10
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
FreyaFL - As I was out puttering about in the garden this morning I began thinking more about your post and wondered if perhaps you were looking for something good to eat that will do well in our poor soil and summer heat. If that's the case and you're not familiar with them, I suggest you try field/cow peas. We love them! I grew up in Arkansas where they were a staple of our diet but my wife's from New York and she had never eaten them until I grew some. Just be sure and choose an RKN non-host variety like Mississippi Purple and/or Zipper Cream. They produce in summer heat, do well in poor soil, are very tasty when shelled and simmered in bacon fat, and they are excellent as cover crops even if you don't eat the peas.
Cowpeas...um...I grew up mainly in New York, too. I've never had them. I've heard of them, but wouldn't know one if I saw it. So, COOL! Thank you for the suggestion. I will look these up (looking mainly at the ones you suggested.) So far my successful summer crops are yardlong beans, sweet potatoes, luffa gourd (which I didn't care for but one of my kids loved), katuk and okinawa spinach. I have lots of fruit trees and passionfruit vines that produce well. But, most of my northern veggies just haven't worked. Again, thank you!

FreyaFL
Old February 22, 2013   #11
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Fried okra is great, don't get me wrong, but there are other ways that are also quite yummy and avoid that slimy texture that some people don't like.

My fav is to grill them until they are cooked through and a little bit charred on the outside. You can marinate them with your favorite grilling sauce or just sprinkle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, doesn't matter.

My son loves them just raw, either cut up in a salad or dipped in ranch.

Throw them in a soup or stew. If you really hate the texture of boiled okra, you may want to pan fry or grill them first.

They are also fantastic pickled, but that does take a nice sized batch and a little time and effort.

I've grown Clemson spineless and Silver Queen with some success, but people in your area should be able to tell you which varieties are most likely to survive there.

Don't spray them with Round up! Alpinejs is just jealous of those of us with more refined taste buds!
Oh, good suggestions! Why is it that all I've ever heard of is the deep fried or gumbo uses? I love raw veggies. Almost everything that can be eaten raw, my husband and I will do so. I had no idea that okra could be a raw veggie. Better and better! I will try all these methods you mentioned if I have a good crop. Thank you!

(I'm not going to comment on Alpinejs's taste in veggies yet, not until I've decided myself. )
Old February 22, 2013   #12
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow okra all the time but it wouldn't get eaten. My family SAYS they like it but when it's time for supper it never ends up getting served. They certainly are pretty when they bloom though.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #13
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaFL View Post
Oh, good suggestions! Why is it that all I've ever heard of is the deep fried or gumbo uses? I love raw veggies. Almost everything that can be eaten raw, my husband and I will do so. I had no idea that okra could be a raw veggie. Better and better! I will try all these methods you mentioned if I have a good crop. Thank you!

(I'm not going to comment on Alpinejs's taste in veggies yet, not until I've decided myself. )
Hopefully, Alpinejs knows I love him! He is really just wonderful, other than his lack of taste in the okra department.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #14
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Hopefully, Alpinejs knows I love him! He is really just wonderful, other than his lack of taste in the okra department.
It's true, we can love a person even if they lack taste. My husband dislikes broccoli but eats asparagus. I love him anyway. (Not that I'll ever cook asparagus.)
Old February 22, 2013   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This stuff makes great fried okra:

Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote