Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 9, 2012   #1
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate question

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have never used Actinovate on my plants. I have read several threads with interest about using this product, so i finally bought some to try.

My garden is tiny by some standards; i have 10 tomato plants total. Last year, i had a terrible time with early blight, and i used Daconil to try to combat it, but it didn't seem to help very much.

What I am wondering is: If I mix Actinovate + Neems oil + Neptune's Harvest + Molassas together in a container, will it last for several applications (across a few weeks), or should i only mix as much as i am going to use for ONE application. Any comments, and/or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."
Henry David Thoreau
st3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #2
brog
Tomatovillian™

Mix only for one spray. use new mix each time you spray. Bill
Old April 9, 2012   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Steve, I would check with Boomer Cardinale at Natural industries who make Actinovate and see what his thought is on applying Neems oil and Actinovate together as a foliar spray or a soil drench. Tell him your a member of Tomatoville as he is also. Ami

http://www.naturalindustries.com/ret...d=20&Itemid=10
Old April 9, 2012   #4
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Steve, I would check with Boomer Cardinale at Natural industries who make Actinovate and see what his thought is on applying Neems oil and Actinovate together as a foliar spray or a soil drench. Tell him your a member of Tomatoville as he is also. Ami

http://www.naturalindustries.com/ret...d=20&Itemid=10
Thanks Ami! I sent Boomer an email.

Henry David Thoreau
Old April 9, 2012   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can also email Louie at Natural Industries-good guy and very helpful.
Old April 9, 2012   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
You can also email Louie at Natural Industries-good guy and very helpful.
I had to call them about something not related remembered the question posted here - Bommer wasn't in talked with Louie (nice guy) and he said yes Neem oil can be used with Actinovate as a spray.

st3v3
However, wait until you get a reply to your email to see if this is confirmed and post what you find out
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #7
mike5953
Tomatovillian™

St3v3,
I'm quite interested to hear Boomer's reply too.
So, if it's ok with him, do please post his reply.
My Actinovate just arrived in the mail today , and I'm planning on using it along with Neptune's Harvest during the growing season.
Since Neptune's Harvest is organic fish and kelp, I've been assuming that it won't harm the organisms in Actinovate. But it'd be nice to know for sure.
mike5953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I just applie some actinovate with iron on a rose that I transplanted a week or two ago. The rose is really struggling, leaves turning yellow. I suspect it was overwatered, due to my poor draining clay soil.
I'll be really excited if I see a difference with the actinovate.
I'm putting it on the tomatoes tomorrow.
I also put it on the tomatillos and ground cherries today, plus on my monster artichoke.
This is my first time using the actinovate products.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Mike, Neptunes harvest should no be a problem with Actinovate. But, normally I keep my foliar applications of Actinovate which I mix with EXEL LG separate from my foliar applications of nutrients but I do use molasses for both as a spreader/sticker. Ami
Old April 10, 2012   #10
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate

Hi,

I'll post Boomers response when i get it so all can see what he says.

I appreciate all the responses to my initial questions, and the consensus seems to be that one should mix up ONE batch of spray at a time, and not try to store it for future use.

I had a dreadfull time with Early Blight last year, and tried to control it w/ Daconil. It seemed to slow it down, but it really didn't knock it out. I am hoping to find an effective control for this problem. Ami mentions that he uses Actinovate and EXEL LG together. I have read the label for both of these products but see no mention of Early Blight on either label.

I'll start my spraying regime pretty soon, and spray every 7-10 days BEFORE is see any signs of the disease. I'm wondering if i should go ahead and get some EXEL LG to mix in w/ my Actinovate. Ami, is this mixture an effective control for Early Blight??

Thanks in advance,

Henry David Thoreau
Old April 10, 2012   #11
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

Default response

Here is Boomer's response:
%<---

I don't think we've ever tested Actinovate with that many combinations. I would see what the Tomatoville folks say. We also have a blight tip sheet that you can download on our website at naturalindustires.com/retail and then click on the Actinovate page.

Thanks

Boomer Cardinale
Marketing Director
Natural Industries

boomer@naturalindustries.com
naturalindustries.com
%<---

I did find a pdf file on their site: http://www.naturalindustries.com/ret...httipsheet.pdf which says that Actinovate can help to prevent damage from Early and Late Blight if precautionary steps are taken. Upon further research on the web (and here), it seems that
chlorothalonil (ie Daconil) does provide effective control for some. I suppose my experiance with it last year was not typical. Perhaps i let it get too much of a head start on me before i began treating. At any rate, i will go ahead and start my fungicidal treatments this year right now. I'll be on the safe side, and apply Neems oil in a seperate application in between the fungicidal regime.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this...

Henry David Thoreau
Old April 10, 2012   #12
mike5953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Mike, Neptunes harvest should no be a problem with Actinovate. But, normally I keep my foliar applications of Actinovate which I mix with EXEL LG separate from my foliar applications of nutrients but I do use molasses for both as a spreader/sticker. Ami

Thanks Ami.
You're reply prompted me to start another thread regarding the subject of spreader stickers.

And thank you St3v3 for reprinting Boomer's (brief) reply and link to the tip sheet.
mike5953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

Neem oil needs a little soap with it to mix with water. I use Murphy's Oil
Soap. Castille soap and Seventh Generation dish soap have also been
recommended ( http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Dish-Soap ).

Daconil (chlorothalonil) is a preventative. If your plants already have
Early Blight or any other fungal infection, it won't go away after spraying
with Daconil, that will only slow down the spread of it to uninfected parts
of the plant.
Old April 19, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm already seeing a big difference in my poor little rose. Although it is being slammed with spider mites, it has gotten some green leaves and looks much better.
Good stuff!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #15
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
I had a dreadfull time with Early Blight last year, and tried to control it w/ Daconil. It seemed to slow it down, but it really didn't knock it out. I am hoping to find an effective control for this problem. Ami mentions that he uses Actinovate and EXEL LG together. I have read the label for both of these products but see no mention of Early Blight on either label.
st3v3,

How is the Actinovate and EXEL LG combo working for your early blight problem? Early blight is a yearly problem in my area too, and I have the same question you had about these two products controlling early blight. I would be very interested in your experience.

Thanks!
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote