Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 19, 2010   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall cucumbers?

Is there anyone out there that has had good luck with cucumbers in the fall? If so, I would love some recommendations on varieties that have performed well in the fall for you. I grew Sweet Success and Spring Swallow last fall with very limited success. The whiteflies nearly smothered them they were so thick on the leaves. I did get a few good cucumbers but not many. I guess I need a variety that is quick to make and can tolerate heat and humidity.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I know of someone NW of Huntsville who has good success with "Straight 8" cucumbers.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have had good success in the fall but have noticed the whiteflies seemed worse last year than previous years. They were bad this spring so I expect I will have to battle with them in order to have a decent harvest this fall.
I usually seed during the first couple weeks of September.
Diva has done well for me both spring and fall although it is a bit of a slow starter but always comes on strong.

Poona Kheera is one that has also done well for me spring or fall and it is usually pretty early too
Old July 19, 2010   #4
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if this is a "fall" cucumber, but here it is:

Best;
bluey
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I just finished planting 5 hills of Poona Kheera for my fall cucumbers.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Looking back at my notes, I actually sow towards the end of August
Old July 26, 2010   #7
stargazer943
Tomatovillian™

My cucumbers have been a total bust, so glad someone asked this question. I learned, never to buy transplants of them. Pretty flowers and nada! So, think I'm gonna follow suit here and seed some in Aug and try again.
stargazer943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm about ready to set out my plants for fall. I have Poona Kheera and Diva. I've noticed the whiteflies are starting to show up also, so it may be tough on them.
Old September 1, 2010   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am seeing plenty of whiteflies here as well, they may the determining factor of whether I have success this fall or not
Old September 7, 2010   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I planted my fall cucumbers and most have already died with the return of mid 90 temps and above. It looks like one or two may survive so I guess I'll have to start some more seed but it may be too late.
Old September 11, 2010   #11
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

My best defense against white flies has been floating row covers. Sticky traps help also. Try making sticky paper, using paper the same color as your flowers will be. Yellow margerine tubs coated with stick-um, and baited with cuke peelings or melon rinds will attract/trap many before your plants become targets. Good luck. It is always such a pleasure having veggies "off-season".
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Have you tried space master? Great cuke, bushy. I cage the plants. Pumps out the fruit, germinates easy. I just place the seed in the container and they germinate quick. Wonderful, almost sweet taste.
Old September 12, 2010   #13
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

The 'non-bitter' varieties seem to get less cuke beetles. The beetles are attracted to the bitterness. Plant one bitter one amongst your non-bitter ones and watch what happens! You don't want to attract them, but if they're coming anyway, you may as well have a 'sacrificial lamb' for them.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2010   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just set out new plants to replace the ones that have already died. The drought we are in has been devastating. I got one Poona Kheera cucumber from the one plant that survived the earlier planting and no Divas survived. That Poona Kheera is one weird looking cucumber but the taste was terrific. I hope I get a few more before cold weather gets here; but most of all I would like some rain so I can plant some fall crops.
Old October 18, 2010   #15
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Lost most of my Fall Diva plants to a hungry deer. At least the deer knows what a Diva cuke tastes like. There is always next season in April 2011.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote