Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 6, 2010   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default cucumber nematodes

I have made a good crop of cucumbers and pulled some of the vines and they were absolutely wrapped up in nematode damage. Looked like I was pulling up peanuts that were very productive. The roots were a mass of knots from nematode damage that even caused the main stems to fall apart above the ground. I've only had a few of my tomato plants bothered by nematodes over the past 10 years but no matter where I plant my cucumbers they get decimated by the nematodes. Are there any varieties that are resistant? This year I had out Armenian, Sweet Success, and Spring Swallow. The Sweet Success was the first to fall victim to them.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Are there any varieties that are resistant? This year I had out Armenian, Sweet Success, and Spring Swallow. The Sweet Success was the first to fall victim to them.
I don't think you'll be successful in that search. An alternative would be beneficial nematodes. There are some that attack the nasties.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #3
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Or try interplanting with marigolds...

Marigolds are sort of a panacea, but their real benefit is combating nematodes.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #4
SpongeBob
Tomatovillian™

you can use ficifolia as rootstock. Johnny's has some hybrid seed of ficifolia for rootstock.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7529-triumph-f1.aspx

You can find OP ficifolia. Not sure if anything is resistant to nematodes but this is one thing to look into.
SpongeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had marigolds planted among my cucumbers. They have always been helpful with tomatoes but don't seem to affect the nematodes that hit cucumbers; maybe they are a different species of nematode. Like I said I made a very big crop but would like to have a few growing latter into the summer. It's feast or famine with cucumbers down here.
Old August 16, 2010   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My Spring Swallows were just pulled up about a month after all the others and they had very little nematode damage. Looks like I have answered my own question. This is the first time I have had a cucumber last this long in my garden and it kept producing up til this past week. The cukes were not as large as Sweet Success nor quite as tasty as Diva nor did they produce a huge crop in a short time; but they did keep producing steadily over a long hot period when most cukes just die.