Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 14, 2009   #1
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow crookneck squash question

Does anyone know the typical variety sold in chain-type grocery stores? I ask bec. last year we grew a variety (didn't make notes, unfortunately) of this and we weren't real happy with the results. It was a little mushy with a subtle and peculiar texture thing diff. from what I typically buy. I would like to duplicate what the type is in a grocery store, a more crisp version even after being steamed/boiled. Thanks.

arline
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi Arline,

If you hadn't noticed it yet; the farmers who grow their veggies for the giant grocery stores pick their fruit and veggies when they are quite young and hard. To make sure they don't crack, split or bruise before getting to market.

So if you want your Yellow crookneck squash to be more firm pick them while they're young - the more fruit you pick from the plant, the more fruit they make anyway. This is the way to keep your plant producing a larger amount of them too. I would say that harvesting them at 6-7 inches is your best bet.

How do you know what size they are without a ruler? I wear a woman's size 8 glove. The total length of my middle finger to the edge of my palm measures 7 inches long; that's how I measure. On my middle finger; each line measures 1 inch long, that's the length I use to plant some seeds also. So measure the points on your hands to use them for guides in the garden.

~* Robin
Old May 16, 2009   #3
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Robin, thanks. I'm growing a crookneck squash again this season and will definitely harvest before they get too big.

Arline, how's San Diego weather today? I sure miss my hometown often though I can't really complain about Corte Madera .

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009   #4
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for replying! I ended up just buying Ferry Morse seeds, generic, of Crookneck + bought three seedlings, same thing: generic crookneck (yellow, summer, of course). There are no choices here (Green Thumb or Armstrong) for varieties I had assumed were widely available. So, 'ya gets what 'ya gets.

Do you think the three seedlings would do "okay" if planted in a rectanglular plastic planter, perhaps 18" high & 3' wide?

The weather here in Vista/Oceanside is rather strange today. Mostly has been heavy marine layer, overcast'ish, very little sun peeking out. It was scheduled to be quite warm, low 80s here, but that sure didn't pan out. Yesterday was beautiful. It's good, though, to have occasional yucky days as it makes all the more beau. the majority of gorgeous weather-days we have here. You just can't beat the stunning blue skies and moderate temps. We feel lucky just to live here.

arline
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I've planted (one plant) of summer squash plant per 3 gallon mopping pail with drain holes cut in it for 3 successive years with no problems: 8 ball zucchini, Italian grey zucchini, straight and crooked yellow squash, peas, and (cucumber plants, 3 in one 3 gallon mop pail.) - bought at the dollar store.

~* Robin