Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 31, 2008   #31
maupin
Tomatovillian™

Default To Craig and Jenn SC

Hey Craig--

Every time I tried to grow small melons they failed. Every response to your post from people who were successful with small watermelons were from much cooler climates than yours and mine. When I switched from ice box melons to full sized, I had great success. Perhaps it's too hot for ice box melons in your neck of the woods.

Jenn SC-- I grew Yellow Moon and Stars and it thrived in my steamy summer heat here at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. It also had an incredible flavor. Now I grow it every year.

Since I'm organic, here's my method:

I pick a patch for watermelons and squash. Then I cover it with plastic ground cover. I cover the plastic with wood mulch. Then I cut an X everywhere I want to plant, then mound up the soil through the X, and plant a hill.

This method deprives squash bugs of access to the soil, eliminates spash up, smothers all weeds for the whole season, and allows me to water right on the root zone.

I like the idea of a previous poster about incorporating grass clippings to ramp up soil heat. I do something similar with my tomatoes, where I bury a large handful of fresh green clippings beneath the bottom of the planting hole for the same purpose.
maupin is offline   Reply With Quote