Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 21, 2007   #1
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Default Mma Ramotswe's Pumpkin

Would anybody know what kind of pumpkin Mma Ramotswe is most likely to use in her cooking?

I don't know much about African cooking and/or vegetables, so am really curious what kind of pumpkins there would be.
Old October 21, 2007   #2
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

When we lived there we mainly bought Boerpampoen, which is a flattish, not deeply serrated grey/white skinned one - a bit like a Jarradale. The other one was a Red skinned one a bit like a Kabocha but that was'nt grown widely. Hubbard Squash and Butternut were common and a small one with a very dark green skin and yellow to orange flesh that I really liked. Then there's Gem squash - did you get some seeds? If not I have some growing and will keep you some. It is unique. I'd say she probably used Boerpampoen ( farmer's pumpkin) which is very common and probably evolved because of its tolerance to variable weather. I'll ask my friend Sue when she gets back from overseas. I'll fish out a recipe for pumpkin soup with peanuts that was a common dish in the Botswana area.
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2007   #3
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Mma Ramotswewe

Spatz,
You must be reading the series. I am at the "Blue Shoes and Happiness" and have been looking to find a deal on it. I love the stories and when you find out what kind of pumpkin grows there, please post it.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2007   #4
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, Cosmic. Somehow I knew you'd be able to answer that question. The description in "In the company of cheerful ladies" is of a yellow pumpkin. So it may well be a butternut.

I do have seeds for South African Gem Squash, thank you. Or I should say thanks to Koeksoetie. They have germinated nicely and I'm really looking forward to them.

Sue, yes, I have just finished the above book in the series and will tackle "The Blue Shoes and Happiness" next.

I wish the book included recipes for Mma Ramotswe's stews, too.
Old October 22, 2007   #5
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

For authenticity, McCall Smith wouldn't include a recipe as most African women just used the ingredients that were available. There are some 'standard' recipes all over Africa - I loved the peanut rich Ghanaian cooking when we lived there, many dishes floating with red palm oil. Botswana cooking is milder and uses different spices - particularly bay leaves. It uses lots of Pumpkin because it was a staple there, whereas in Ghana a lot of Plantain was used. Pumpkin hardly featured. But in both places you couldn't go without the peanut! I've fished out some recipes for you and emailed them. One of these days my recipe book will be typed up for the kids.
Old October 22, 2007   #6
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicgardener View Post
One of these days my recipe book will be typed up for the kids.
That's a great idea!
I keep asking my mum to write up some of her recipes. But she's always too busy. What is it with these retired mums?!

And don't forget to include the stories associated with some of your recipes.

Thanks for all the explanations and descriptions. Time to start reading up on some African cooking, I think.
Old October 22, 2007   #7
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

They'll probably chuck it out. One is an abysmal cook the other knows it all; so long as it's muffins......... Thank god they don't get into tomato forums
Old October 22, 2007   #8
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

In that case, I'm sure at least one of your grandies would be overjoyed to have your recipe book.

How was your bobotie last night? I'm still deciding what to make for tea tonight.
Old October 22, 2007   #9
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

They only need three recipes - Crepe Suzette, Shepherds pie and Braised Chorizo with Puy Lentils.

The Bobotie was good - couldn't take a pic. as the camera is packed. Adjust the recipe to "saute the onion and apple in the butter, then brown the mince, add other ingredients before putting in the baking dish"
Old October 22, 2007   #10
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

It's early days yet. You'll see, there'll be a gourmet cook amongst them.

Thanks for the adjustment.

I'm making bread soup bowls as I'm thinking of making the African Pumpkin Stew tonight.
Serve in the bread bowls.